Mechanical Engineer III
BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Mechanical Engineer III at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN. The individual selected will be responsible for mechanical engineering and technical tasks for various modernization programs. This work includes estimating, planning, analysis, design, and engineering inputs into the design, construction, and maintenance of chemical plant facilities. The Mechanical Engineer III also provides technical oversight during the actual field installation of equipment and construction.
The position requires a high degree of technical competence regarding the broad application of mechanical engineering principles to the development of new capabilities and/or solutions to customers' challenging modernization problems.
Performs one or more of the following mechanical engineering functions:
- Work with multi-discipline engineering team to perform plant and project engineering.
- Create engineering estimates, select construction materials and methods, write specifications, supervise and prepare mechanical drawings, control cost, and manage work to meet project schedules.
- Perform mechanical engineering analyses for: piping systems, hydraulic systems, pumping systems, HVAC systems, equipment/machinery design and layout, process cooling and heating systems, storage tank design, inspection and repair.
- Conduct inspections of existing facilities such as buildings, equipment, and pipelines to determine the integrity and safety.
- Make recommendations concerning any needed modifications.
- Develop estimates, plans, and schedules for the construction phase of projects ensuring that materials, equipment, and personnel will be available to meet project schedules.
- Ensure that work is performed in accordance with plans, specifications, and good construction practices and within cost during the execution phase.
- Consider safety in all aspects of work and design.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
o Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university. We may consider a closely related degree
o Four (4)+ years related experience including design, construction, and commissioning
o Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards
o Possess clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
o Self-motivated with ability to work in a team environment with a high level of attention to detail
o Ability to meet required deadlines while simultaneously completing other tasks
o Ability to develop and maintain expertise in CADD software for efficient production of engineering work
o Create detailed project proposals, scopes of work, and estimates
o Ability to direct design teams and external design firms
o Review and approve design packages from equipment suppliers and design firms providing constructability input
o Execute commissioning plan and maintain documentation as needed
o Ability to interface with site operations and maintenance teams
o Capable of creating required engineering documentation using Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, and Access
Preferred Skills and Education
o PE License
o Energetics materials experience
o Chemical manufacturing experience
o P&ID Development
o 3D design / modeling using SolidWorks, Inventor, etc.
o Tank and Vessel Design / Construction
o Pumps / Piping Design
o Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics (Caesar II, Fathom, Arrow, et. al.)
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top