Mechanical Engineer - EO/IR Systems
- Austin, TX
BAE Systems is experiencing continued growth in our Electro-optic/Infrared/RF markets and we are seeking experienced, highly motivated Hardware Engineers to join our team. At BAE Systems, we design, develop and manufacture highly sophisticated electronic solutions that service a variety of product areas for government and commercial applications. The qualified applicants will experience assignments associated with ruggedized EO/IR/RF, precision pointing, and countermeasures based products and other related technologies at our Austin, Texas location.
The selected candidate, working in small teams, will acquire product knowledge and advance their technical skills while performing their assigned responsibilities on internal research and development efforts, customer-funded development projects, and on sustainment activities associated with production and fielded products.
The mechanical engineer selected for this position will be a skilled "hands-on" problem solver with diverse technical capabilities and sound engineering fundamentals to support design, analysis, documentation, build, and test efforts. The duties assigned to this position, while under the guidance of a lead engineer, include the following:
- Support mechanical/opto-mechanical/electro-mechanical hardware design efforts from conceptual layouts through detailed design
- Conduct design trade studies and detailed analyses
- Support the creation, release, and control of engineering drawings and product documentation
- Support part selection, procurement, and inspection of hardware components.
- Work closely with technicians in the fabrication and assembly of prototype/engineering hardware and test equipment
- Plan, execute, and report the results of engineering laboratory/field evaluation and test efforts
- Support problem resolution, root cause assessments, and regression evaluations
- Plan, execute, and report the results of laboratory and field testing of prototype and qualification hardware.
- Provide engineering support to operations in the build/test/delivery of production hardware.
In addition, BAE Systems' Engineering is dedicated to promoting technical excellence by offering learning opportunities through an extensive in-house University level training program, access to Subject Matter Experts for technical problem solving and a mentoring program for guidance and direction.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering + 2 years of applicable experience, OR Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering (GPA of 3.4 or higher)
- Solid understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals (materials, thermal, structural, etc.)
- Experience with state-of-the-art mechanical engineering design/analysis methodologies and tools (GD&T, 3D modeling, FEA, etc.)
- Experience with basic manufacturing techniques and tooling
- Motivated self-starter and problem solver
- Leadership potential with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiar with ASME/ANSI/SAE Standards
- Strong computer skills in basic office and technical programs
- US citizen eligible to obtain a DOD Security Clearance
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience working with military electronics hardware
- Working familiarity with DOD Standards (MIL-STD-810, etc.)
- Experience with Pro-E/CREO, ANSYS engineering tools
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top