Mechanical Electronics Packaging Engineer
BAE Systems is looking for a Mechanical Electronics Packaging Engineer to support activities for complex avionics electronics systems in our growing avionics business areas.
Controls and Avionics Solutions provides flight and mission-critical products to more than 170 commercial and military customers around the world. CAS products include fly-by-wire flight controls, pilot controls (inceptor systems), full authority digital engine controls (FADEC), power management systems, flight deck systems, cabin management systems, weapon controls, autonomous flight systems, and mission systems for the world's most prominent commercial and military aircraft manufacturers.
Our growing business is located in the Greater Binghamton area which is home to several sports teams, shopping centers, a growing downtown, the State University of New York at Binghamton, several large healthcare employers and some of New York's top-ranked school districts. The area enjoys a rich heritage with multiple diverse communities with local cuisine and festival celebrations. From the area to an hour out there is access to hiking, skiing, lakes, waterparks, casinos, golfing, camping and vineyards. A 9/80 work schedule gives employees a great opportunity to experience all that the region has to offer and provides a balanced work and family lifestyle.Job responsibilities for the position include:
- Apply expertise in the area of mechanical design of Electronics Packaging towards design of electronics enclosures and/or CCA's, for commercial and military aircraft applications. Applications include flight critical controls systems as well as non flight critical high reliability electronics such as cabin systems.
- Mechanical design, development and selection of hardware components for electrical assemblies utilizing fundamental mechanical engineering principles, theories and techniques.
- Interpret mechanical design requirements, customer specifications, industry and military specifications and ensure that all requirements are realized in the design of the equipment.
- Perform design of high reliability electronics package enclosures, utilizing 3D CAD tools such as Creo Parametric or similar tools.
- Support mechanical design aspects of Circuit Card Assemblies (CCA), and Printed Wiring Boards (PWB).
- Design to meet environmental and reliability requirements typically encountered on military and commercial aircraft programs.
- Prepare and substantiate Engineering changes to released designs, and review changes written by other team members.
- Design for producibility, partnering with the Manufacturing Engineer to drive a producible and cost efficient design in the production environment.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders across the functions, especially manufacturing, to achieve the optimal design and manufacture of the equipment.
- Support concept designs in support of proposals on an as-needed basis.
- Develop test plans in support of Qualification, Accelerated Life testing, Stress Screening, Reliability growth, as well as Design Verification.
- Review drawings and changes to ensure suitability for the design and manufacturing of the product.
- Review and approve manufacturing instructions/plannings.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, schedule driven environment.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Design of Electronics Assemblies using 3D CAD tools such as Creo Parametric or similar 3D CAD tools.
- Familiarity and experience with assembly design and metal part design in military, aircraft, or other high reliability electronics packaging environment.
- Experience with mechanical aspects of circuit card assembly and printed wiring board design in military, aircraft, or other high reliability electronics packaging environment.
- Experience designing and routing wire harnesses within electronics enclosure and/or vehicle system.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties while complying with policies, procedures, appropriate principles and applicable state and federal laws.
- Exhibits sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers, suppliers.
- Working knowledge of drawing and configuration management practices.
- Utilize computer skills to prepare appropriate reports and documents
- Experience with writing test plans and executing test plans for environmental testing of high reliability electronics (thermal, vibration, humidity, etc.).
- Experience with mechanical aspects of HALT, HASS, and other techniques of testing structural integrity and reliability.
- Experience recognizing and solving mechanical failure modes that occur in high reliability environments.
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturing (DFM) practices and manufacturing equipment.
- Proven ability to effectively lead a small team in the solution of open ended problems.
- Proven ability to coach and teach others in the organization.
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top