Material Applications Scientist
FAST Labs is seeking a Principal Research Scientist to develop and mature advanced optical material concepts into new applications, designs, and processes. We are seeking scientists that can take research phenomena for electro-magnetic interaction with matter and turn the underlying principles into optical systems, working with a team to implement a new generation of passive or active (laser) prototypes.
The work environment is fast-paced and presents many technical challenges as well as significant growth opportunities. Successful technical contributors will be comfortable working in multidisciplinary teams, present ongoing research and development to customers as well as proposing concepts for new projects. Assignments will require excellent problem solving abilities, hands-on leadership and systems-level thinking. Qualified candidates will also possess in depth knowledge of state of the art in emerging phenomena, such as non-linear effects, quantum and/or atomic physics. Past experience with DARPA and other military R&D agencies is a plus. This position may require travel up to 10% of the time to support customer development and system reviews at the employer's discretion.
As a Principal Scientist in BAE Systems FAST Labs (FL) in the Sensor Technologies Directorate, you will participate in the complete concept development lifecycle, from experimentation through concept electro-optic hardware development. This directorate is responsible for turning next generation defense research and technology into real-time solutions for prototype systems. These systems are often tested at live ground and flight exercises in preparation for deployment on operational platforms.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Advanced material development with a focus on electro-optic properties and phenomena exploitation
- Modeling of material systems and their interaction with electro-magnetic waves.
- Exposure to lasers and laser-based testing
- Motivated, team-oriented individual with strong problem-solving abilities
- Strong interpersonal communication skills including writing and presentation skills
Preferred Skills and Education
- PhD with a minimum of 2+ years or Master Degree with minimum of 4 plus years experience in applied materials experimentation and related scientific fields. Advanced degree in Physics, Chemistry, or Materials Science.
- Electromagnetic interaction with materials at the atomic and molecular level
- Nonlinear materials and effects for optical component design and test
- Matlab or similar modeling experience
- Customer interactions
- Eligible for Secret Clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top