Logical Architecture Engineer
Note: Sterling Heights is preferred location for this position and candidates from other sites will be considered.
As the System Architecture Engineer, lead or support development of an optimum system architecture based on balanced requirements and extensive product and customer knowledge for multiple vehicle concepts. Also, the system architect will lead or support the product structure and the system architectural models from early vehicle concept through detailed design, integration, and test phases.
- Responsible to define the architecture of the complete vehicle for multiple vehicle concepts for moderately complex efforts or support architecture definition for highly complex efforts.
- Responsible for the creation of the vehicle electronics (vetronics) and physical architectures and complete vehicle packaging of the systems and modules to create the optimum vehicle for the customer application and business. This also includes leading the functional analysis and logical architecture development needed for successful hardware and software integration.
- Identify and control mechanical, electrical, data, and thermal interfaces for vehicle subsystems and other major architectural elements.
- Support the introduction of new technology to create optimally balanced technical solutions for each vehicle application by ensuring project content meets the customer needs and the technology strategies.
- Support requirements decomposition analysis to help drive concept architectures and system characteristics. Support compliance assessments.
- Manage resolution of architecture issues. Enforce design commonality (as practical) across concepts.
- Generate System/Subsystem Design Descriptions (SSDDs) and drive deliverables to meet Project required timing, deliverable requirements, and budgets.
- Support development of standard practices on Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) approaches and SysML methods
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Must have bachelor degree in engineering (or equivalent experience) in a relevant field from an accredited university with a minimum of:
8+ Years with BS
6+ Years with MS
3+ Years with PHD
- Have systems engineering experience/ knowledge necessary to perform requirements analysis, derivation and allocation, and translate requirements to viable concepts design solutions within applicable constraints.
- Experience with Systems Modeling Language (SysML) methodology and tools, preferably MagicDraw.
- Experience developing architecture concepts and evaluating alternatives.
- Have experience and knowledge of computer systems and processors, logic devices, interfaces, and high-level understanding of operating systems.
- Develop and manage the concept product structures and the associated size, weight, power, cooling and cost (SWaP-CC) data, ensuring consistency across concepts.
- Balance system design considering system usage concept of operations (CONOPS), performance, constraints, and logistics concerns.
- Plan, conduct and document complex trade studies.
- Balance size, weight, power and cost of system.
- Manage system risk.
- Generate System/Subsystem Design Descriptions (SSDDs) and capability assessments per the program statement of work (SOW).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with military vehicle systems.
- Experience with Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus strategies and implementation, and other relevant networks and protocols.
- Logical architecture experience, including development of use cases
- Familiarity with Department of Defense Architecture (DoDAF)
- Familiarity with VICTORY architecture.
- Experience establishing projects in accordance with work breakdown structures as defined in MIL-STD-881.
- Exposure to hardware/software integration.
- Leadership and mentoring of younger engineers.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company.
BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Back to top