Linux Systems Engineer
As the Linux Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for maintaining up to date patching of all the office's Linux servers; interfacing with end users to administer accounts (new set ups and trouble shoot existing); working with other members of the infrastructure team to ensure minimized down time; implementing baseline changes and responding to change request; performing technical evaluations, analysis, and troubleshooting for all supported servers; building servers by providing technical configuration, setup, installation services, hardware and coordination of application projects; and operating and maintaining servers.
Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities include:
• Maintains operation of multi-user computer systems, including coordination with a Windows Systems Administrator and Network Engineers. Duties may include setting up administrator and service accounts, maintaining system documentation, tuning system performance, installing system wide software and allocate mass storage space. Makes recommendations to purchase hardware and software, coordinates installation and provides backup recovery. Develops and monitors policies and standards related to the use of computing resources.
• Manage user accounts globally
• Patch Servers monthly using automation tools
• Evaluate, analyze, and troubleshoot all server-related issues
• Fulfill support and change requests
• Enable the Customer's development of a dedicated server build report as well as an internal build report
• Ensure integrity of asset management records
• Coordinate server installation
• Plan and recommend hardware replacements as needed
• Build servers by providing technical configuration, setup, installation services, hardware and coordination
• Assist with establishing and maintaining appropriate server baseline
• Coordinate planned server outages with Customer and Users
• Troubleshoot, resolve and report all unplanned server outages, and prevent likelihood of repeated outages
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
The candidate must have an Active Intel Security clearance with a Favorable Polygraph. Candidate will not be considered without it.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
- A combination of the following: Linux+, RHCE, RHCSA, LPIC- 1: Linux Administrator, LPIC- 2: Linux Engineer or LPIC- 3: Linux Enterprise Professional Certification
- The candidate must have an Active Intel Security clearance with a Favorable Polygraph. Candidate will not be considered without it.
- Ability to use verbal and written communication skills to present information to a diverse population (technical and non-technical).
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of existing server technologies including principles and methods used in obtaining maximum utilization of server technologies.
- Knowledge of multiple specialties such as operating systems, email or database platforms, storage technologies, or hardware support, including knowledge of operating systems (e.g., NT, Windows 200, UNIX, XP).
- Knowledge of customer's policies and procedures relating to the design, upgrade, operations, and maintenance of networks.
- Knowledge of Communications and Information Security policies and procedures.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to arrange things or actions in an order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules.
- Experience with update services such as Yum (RHEL flavor) or Apt (debian flavor)
- Experience utilizing server as client
- Experience with scripting using bash scripts
- Demonstrated experience working on remote Systems via use of command line
- Demonstrated experience configuring Linux firewall/routing/networking
- Hands on experience integrating Linux servers in Active Directory (or using LDAP/Kerberose)
- Experience installing and configuring basic services including httpd/Apache, PHP, MySQL/Mariadb, mail servers
- Willingness to learn Windows Systems Administration on a cross-function Agile Team.
- Ability to provide innovative solutions for routine issues and tasks.
- Working knowledge of Agile and Scrum methodologies.
- Knowledge of theory and practice underlying satellite and LAN/WAN network operations.
- Experience automating OS install processes (using kick start configuration files, preceding configuration files or similar)
- Scripting experience using Perl, Python or similar advanced scripting languages
- Willingness to learn and implement Scrum framework, Lean principles, Agile engineering and DevOps.
BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That's BAE Systems. That's Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Back to top