Lead Hardware Engineer
BAE Systems - FAST Labs Hardware Engineering is seeking Electrical or Mechanical engineering candidates interested in leadership and project management roles on new development and/or established programs. Responsible for leading a small/medium sized team of multidisciplinary engineers in the technical development and rapid prototyping of complex hardware systems.
Role includes interfacing with program management to plan and status the execution of development efforts, coordinating with Operations or external companies to procure equipment, and leading the team to assemble, test, and deploy systems.
Must demonstrate strong technical aptitude and leadership skills. Must be able to lead small to mid-sized multidisciplinary hardware engineering teams through one or more phases of the hardware product lifecycle, including proposals, design, development, integration, test, and transition to production.
Must have excellent leadership skills, communication skills and be able to work cross-functionally within the hardware organization and with other engineering disciplines/functions.
Responsibilities may include:
- Detailed project planning and execution of all hardware or firmware/FPGA content, including cost, schedule, staffing and technical oversight.
- Lead a team of 6 - 15 multidisciplinary hardware personnel; including electrical engineers, RF engineers, FPGA engineers, mechanical engineers, design drafting and technicians.
- Serve as the Project Manager / Control Account Manager (CAM) for all hardware content; manage weekly reporting of schedule and financial status, generate recovery plans for any schedule and cost variances and manage risk/opportunities and associated mitigation plans.
- Coordinate with cross-functional disciplines, such as Program Management, Systems Engineering, Software, Integrated Test Engineering and Operations.
- Participate in weekly Program Management Meetings.
- Provide daily work direction to other employees on a regular basis. Mentor peers and more junior engineers in areas of expertise.
- Interface, coordinate and negotiate with company personnel, customers and suppliers.
- Support proposal efforts to capture new business.
- Regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in technical areas. Exercise considerable judgment in determining objectives.
- Exhibit strong team building and mentorship skills within the team environment
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
• U.S. Citizenship and ability to obtain/maintain a DOD security clearance is required.
• Experience with the design, build, integration and/or test of complex electro-mechanical systems.
• Experience leading small teams.
• Motivated self-starter with leadership skills and ability to effectively work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated mentoring skills.
• Excellent problem solving skills, judgment, and analytical capability.
• Ability to lead others to closure.
• Experience presenting technical information to program teams and/or customers.
• Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills.
Preferred Skills and Education
• Active DOD Security Clearance.
• Eligible for DOD Top Secret Clearance.
• Demonstrated success managing all hardware engineering aspects of requirements definition, design, integration, test and delivery of complex hardware systems.
• Prior Project Manager / Control Account Manager (CAM) experience, including managing earned value metrics, such as CPI and SPI.
• Proficiency using MS Office and MS Project.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top