Laser Product Engineer
BAE Systems is looking for a Product Engineering candidates to support Laser manufacturing in its New Hampshire facilities.
This position will include the following activities:
- Provide technical support to manufacturing while troubleshooting lasers with complex optical assemblies.
- Direct, conduct or support testing to validate compliance to performance requirements.
- Interface with Engineering and other supporting functions to drive defect resolution to root cause.
- Generate and implement continuous improvements in build and test processes to reduce cost, increase throughput and ensure producibility of designs.
- Generate and review the technical content of test procedures, drawings, engineering specifications, reports, Engineering Change Orders, and other documentation associated with the design, build and test of deliverable laser products.
- Support manufacturing and test equipment maintenance.
- Interface with governmental customers, auditors and vendors as required
- Provide training to manufacturing personnel.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 2 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Required education: Bachelor's degree in Optical Engineering or similar technical degree and 2+ year(s) related experience
- Experience with the manufacturing and testing of lasers and electro-optical systems including laser cavity/resonator alignments, optical parametric oscillator operation and tuning and off axis parabolic mirror and optical table alignments
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of equipment, software and tools used for measurements of laser: power, wavelength, divergence, polarization, collimation...
- Knowledge of optical components, equipment and lab supply vendors
- Strong hands-on skills and the ability and desire to work in a manufacturing environment including class, 100, 1000 and 10000 clean rooms.
- Interpret optical component drawings and specifications with the knowledge of opto-mechanical tolerance analysis.
- Experience with optical component inspection and the cleaning and handling of optics
- Basic understanding of thermal management methods i.e. TECs, Heaters and their control circuits.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills to drive Non-Conformance and other product related failure activities to route cause/corrective action with the ability to identify and solve problems pro-actively (not reactive).
- The candidate must be highly motivated and have experience in leadership and team building skills, along with strong oral and written communications skills.
- Must work well with others - understand the operations organization structure, understand the factory team, and optimize your relationship with these people.
-The candidate must be able to work independently and in a cross functional team environment.
-Must be a US citizen eligible for a DOD security clearance
Preferred Skills and Education
- Basic Lean/Flow knowledge; Six-Sigma Certified with heavy emphasis on data driven problem solving.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of electronic test equipment such as signal generators, oscilloscopes, power supplies, spectrum analyzers and digital multi-meters.
- Opto-mechanical and electrical assembly skills
-Understand design margins and predict factory yields.
- Provide a "Left Shift" mentality to engage Design for Manufacturing and Maintainability (DFM2) and Design for Test (DFT)
-Provide technical support to Engineering by influencing the design approach, schedule, budget, trade studies and analysis
-Have an understanding of adhesive selection, torque requirements, bond line processes, tooling/fixturing, wire routing to prevent noise/chaffing and factory flow layout
-Experience with facilities, program and capital planning
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems.
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Windows (XP, Windows 7) Operating Systems and software development on these platforms.
- Capabilities in National Instruments LabWindows/CVI programming and/or other similar test software development toolsets
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top