Labor & Employment Counsel
We are seeking an experienced lawyer to serve as the primary employment and labor counsel to our internal clients.
In this position, you will report directly to the Vice President and Chief Counsel, Electronics Systems and be responsible for the following areas:
- Provide advice and counsel to our management and HR professionals on all aspects of day-to-day employment-related matters, including hiring and termination issues, harassment, discrimination and retaliation, leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations, wage and hour issues, restrictive covenants, conflicts of interest, independent contractor issues, employee investigations, etc.;
- Investigate and represent the company at the administrative level (EEOC, DOL, equivalent state and local agencies). Prepare position statements and bring in outside counsel, when appropriate;
- Review involuntary terminations and draft separation packages, as appropriate;
- Manage our employment and labor litigation, reviewing pleadings, developing strategy with outside counsel, facilitating the gathering of information (documents, interviews); making recommendations at key stages in the process, etc.;
- Support our labor management professionals during collective bargaining negotiations, grievances, etc.;
- Conduct basic legal research and prepare opinions. Interprets FAR/DFARS, statutes, government regulations, and executive orders; stay up-to-date on changes in employment and labor laws and provide tailored advice to stakeholders on any policy, process or other change;
- Provide legal advice in ethics investigations; may be asked to serve as lead investigator in high-level or sensitive matters;
- Review, interpret, and draft company policies and procedures;
- Assist in the preparation of various legal training courses;
- Assist in company acquisition efforts as needed;
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Vice President & Chief Counsel.
This position is part of the Electronic Systems Legal Department, a dedicated and collegial team, where each lawyer has the opportunity to work closely with the business and make a positive impact. We provide a 9/80 flexible work schedule, support for development / training to further your legal expertise and a 6% match, with immediate vesting, on 401(k) contributions.
Required Skills and Education
- JD from an ABA accredited law school,
- Admitted to practice law in a US jurisdiction required;
- Eligible to be admitted to state bar as corporate counsel at primary work location, as applicable.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in employment law as follows:
- Minimum of 3 years of prior law firm experience with a mid-to-large law firm in employment / labor section; must have prior experience as an employment litigator
- Labor experience preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as outstanding organizational and analytical skills required.
- Work independently, but collaboratively in a team setting while displaying a high level of self-direction and sound judgment
- Must be a self-starter, have a pro-active approach to address issues before they create legal exposure; able to handle a multitude of complex and challenging situations,
- Desktop computer competency to include proficiency in Westlaw and MS Office Suite.
- US Citizenship required. Ability to obtain security clearance required, and current active Secret clearance is preferred.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top