BAE Systems' CyberSecurity Solutions team is looking for an operating systems kernel architect to work as part of the STOP OS development team. The candidate will design, implement, and test a proprietary, UNIX-inspired secure operating system kernel.
This position requires mastery of operating system concepts such as virtual memory, file systems, device drivers, virtualization, and process scheduling, as well as mastery of software security concepts such as vulnerability, exploitation, and mitigation, is essential. The candidate must be comfortable developing software in a Linux environment and be familiar with the Linux system call interface.
Tools used in daily work include gcc, make, objdump, uClibc, subversion, Bugzilla, MediaWiki, etc.
Example tasks may include:
- Design the kernel and critical subsystems
- Write thorough tests for system call interfaces
- Use the kernel debugger to verify correct system operation and troubleshoot problems
- Instrument performance-critical code to identify and reduce performance bottlenecks
- Review code for security vulnerabilities such as buffer overflow or string injection
- Port and test existing open-source applications to work on the STOP operating system
- Write and/or port device drivers
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent
- Proficient in C programming using UNIX/Linux system calls (the section 2 man pages)
- Self-starter with a desire to learn and a motivated "get it done" attitude
- Able to receive and give constructive, critical feedback in peer code review
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exposure to network socket programming
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills
- Diverse interests and a passion for technology
- Proficiency in assembly (Intel x86) and/or familiarity with processor capabilities
- Secure coding experience or certification (GSSP-C)
- Common Criteria, DCID 6/3, other security evaluation or accreditation schemes
- Experience with embedded, RTOS, separation kernel, or VMM implementation
- Exposure to high-level scripting languages (Perl, Python, Shell, etc.)
- C++ and/or Java
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top