Journeyperson Machinist II
- San Diego, CA
BAE Systems is seeking a Journeyman Outside Machinists for our San Diego Shipyard!
The ideal candidate will be assigned hands-on responsibilities for the removal, installation and testing of main and auxiliary shipboard equipment including but not limited to: MRGs, pumps, hydraulics, steam equipment, valves, propellers, bearings, etc.
- Machinists may work in dry dock, shop or shipboard environments.
- Work occurs in various stages of repair and modernization of Naval Ships.
- Outside Machinists operate a wide variety of tools and machinery.
- May be required to assist and instruct Helper and Improver level Machinists as necessary.
- Performs additional related tasks as assigned.
- Minimum 5+ years shipboard machinist experience
- Must be able to pass written Outside Machinist Journeyman exam
- General knowledge of ship layout and ability to read technical manuals
- Must be able to read precision tools (i.e: micrometers and verniers)
- Mechanical background required (i.e: diesel, testing, steam plant, shafting boring, etc)
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Rapid Gate pass
- Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently
- Must be flexible to working all shifts (1st, 2nd, 3rd)
- Must have own tools
(Must be able to work a variety of shifts)
1st 6:00am- 2:30pm
Must pass BAE Systems Drug and Physical Exam
Ability to work in dry dock, shop and ship board environments
Must be able to work at heights, in confined spaces and have the ability to climb staircases and ladders of
Must be able to lift 35-55lbs on a daily basis
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top