IT Systems Engineer Manager
- McLean, VA
BAE Systems is seeking a talented, experienced Systems Engineering Manager to join our Federal IT team in the Northern Virginia area. The selected candidate will provide technical leadership and guidance for engineering, development, and sustainment activities to support the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) initiatives. This position is customer facing and will provide comprehensive System Engineering oversight and guidance to deliver a broad range of IT solutions to modernize legacy systems, develop and deploy new technical solutions, secure networks and assets, and continually improve effectiveness of mission-critical and mission-support functions.
The Engineering Manager will provide the planning, direction, coordination, and control necessary to accomplish all work requirements, manage, and oversee all technical activities performed by contractor personnel, including subcontractors, to satisfy the contract requirements. The Engineering Manager is responsible for all technical performance and will serve as the program's point-of-contact for technical matters and issues.
- Oversee the technical program team in successfully executing the contract
- Responsible for providing engineering expertise and guidance for the design, innovation development, implementation, tech-refresh, and sustainment of IT/hardware solutions that enhance overall system performance and availability
- Lead the research, analysis, testing, solution design and implementation planning of IT/hardware solutions and the modernization of existing equipment sets in the field
- Drive strategic technological innovation, demonstrating a breadth and depth of knowledge in all things related to a complex matrixed systems, technology refresh, and Operations and Maintenance operations
- Provide technical knowledge and analysis of high-level functional systems analysis, design, and integration advice on complex matters that require expert level knowledge of the subject matter for effective implementation
- Participate in planning activities, including bid and proposals, schedule development, and budget preparation.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- 12+ years' experience engineering and architecting border security solutions for land, sea, or air ports of entry and inspection checkpoints
- Demonstrated expertise in systems engineering, including requirements analysis and system architecture design
- Demonstrated experience leading design and implementation of complex solutions on a large Program (200M+)
- Demonstrated experience modernizing complex enterprise networks and border security systems
- Demonstrates integrity, respect, and a commitment to excellence, collaboration, agility, and diversity
- Experience organizing, directing, and managing contract operation support functions involving multiple, complex, and interrelated project tasks
- Experience in middleware, software, and firmware maintenance activities, as well as upgrades, patches, and technology refresh.
- Experience effectively communicating at senior levels within a customer organization
- Ability to collaborate with Program Management and customers in forming strategies to improve performance, reliability, and cost effectiveness
- Experience mentoring staff in order to maintain high levels of performance and positive morale
- Knowledge of industry/government best practices
- U.S. Citizenship required and ability to obtain a CBP Entry on Duty (EOD) based on Full Background Investigation
- Master's Degree in Systems Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science, or related Engineering disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in border security platforms, engineering, and operations with emphasis on DHS capabilities
- Experience with NIST SP 800 series or ISO 27000 series documents for information security management and risk assessment
- Demonstrated experience in Secure DevOps/Agile concepts and processes
- Cloud Architect, DevOps or SysOps Associate or Professional Certification
- Current CBP EOD preferred
- 12+ Years' Experience with BS
- 10+ Years' Experience with MS
- 7+ Years' Experience with PhD
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we doBAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it's what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts - defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team-making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you'll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top