IT Business Application Manager
BAE Systems' Enterprise Shared Services (ESS) Information Technology (IT), Application Solutions service area has a need for an IT Manager, Business Applications who will directly support BAE Systems' Ship Repair business unit. The Ship Repair business unit focuses on dry-docking and pier-side non-nuclear ship repair, modernization and overhaul services with shipyards strategically located on the east, gulf, and west coasts. Specific facilities are located in Norfolk, Virginia; Jacksonville, Florida; Mobile, Alabama; San Diego, California; and Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. These ship yards provide services to the U.S. Navy, other defense agencies such as Military Sealift Command, the Maritime Administration, the U.S Army, and the U.S. Coast Guard, as well as commercial customers. Ship Repair's commercial market includes tankers, cargo ships, and cruise ships.
This position will have responsibility for overall IT management (e.g. strategy, planning, and operation and maintenance (O&M)) of the Ship Repair application portfolio of internal business applications, integrated system solutions and interfaces used to facilitate Ship Repair business unit operations. Business functional areas supported include Program Management, Finance, Time Accounting, Human Resources, Quality Control, Audit, Procurement, Legal, Contracts, Operations, and Business Development.
With limited supervision:
- Directly manages a team of local and remote programmer/technical support analysts as well as matrix and/or subcontractor staff as required.
- Develops measureable and obtainable goals for each team member and monitors progress on obtaining those goals, on a consistent basis, using key performance indicators. Provides constructive feedback in timely manner.
- Provides internal business customer relationship management (CRM) and IT technical and operational management by applying insight derived from a highly developed set of skills and knowledge based on previous IT management experience.
- Establishes and maintains clear, open and productive levels of communication with business customers and other business and technical stakeholders.
- Develops a detailed awareness and understanding of business processes and workflows; leverages that knowledge to provide comprehensive system/application focused IT support.
- Assists the Ship Repair business with system/application IT strategy, planning, delivery, and operations and maintenance (O&M).
- Guides business stakeholders in gaining clarity and effectively articulating specific business needs (i.e. business and requirements gathering) for systems/applications.
- Oversees and collaborates with Business and IT teams to effectively translate business and functional requirements into technical requirements for system/application acquisition, development, enhancement, customization, configuration, consolidation and retirement. Manages the process for handling changing business and functional requirements.
- Applies appropriate managerial, technical, and operational methodologies and techniques to the day-to-day O&M of the system/application portfolio consisting of custom built and commercial off the shelf (COTS) business applications, interfaces, and integrated business system solutions. Additional O&M support will include, but is not limited to: user support; system/application security and data integrity, system monitoring; troubleshooting, resolution identification and testing; patching support; usage and compliance to incident, change, and configuration management processes, and producing / maintaining all appropriate technical documentation.
- Oversees and supports project and task delivery, reviews status of projects and budgets; oversees schedules and prepares portfolio status reports. Assesses project and task risks and issues and develops mitigation strategies to meet or exceed delivery dates, budget, scope, quality, and client-satisfaction goals and objectives throughout project management and software development life cycle (SDLC) processes.
- Provides management and oversight of current 3rd party technical vendors and supports negotiations for new and renewal of software licensing and maintenance support agreements.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Security Clearance: None (Must be Clearable)
- Bachelor's degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university with major coursework in management information systems, computer science, software engineering or equivalent. Additional related professional work experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
- Minimum of 10 years in the information systems field or equivalent, with 8+ years of increasing responsibilities and experience within the IT management and systems/application solution delivery space.
- Experience managing software development and O&M teams responsible for a business application portfolio of small, medium and large scale systems/applications using industry recognized delivery methodologies (e.g. SDLC, Agile, and their hybrids). Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) experience must include managing detailed software requirements, design, coding, unit testing, integration, build and release management, and the creation and maintenance of associated documentation.
- Develops and facilitates the execution of work plans and schedules for IT projects; regularly communicates timelines and sets expectations of business stakeholders throughout the end-to-end process
- Management and working experience with formal structured configuration, change, and incident management.
- Motivated individual with proven track record of quality delivery; on time, on budget, and within scope.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, collaborate on and communicate projects, priorities and goals to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills, ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Detailed oriented, strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to manage in a complex and changing environment.
- Must be action oriented, capable of independently managing the solution for complex technical problems.
- Promotes and contributes to a strong team environment.
- Solid capabilities using Microsoft desktop suit of tools (e.g. Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Ship Yard industry technical operations support experience and knowledge with an understanding of the terminology, business functions, processes, and supporting technologies preferred.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. People are the greatest asset in any Company. BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top