International Trade Manager I (Compliance)
This position is located at BAE Systems, Inc. Corporate (HQ) Office, Arlington, VA.
The International Trade Manager will report to the Senior Director of Inc. International Trade Compliance, who in turn reports to the VP & Associate General Counsel International Compliance as part of the BAE Systems, Inc. legal team. The International Trade Manager (Compliance) will support the management and sustainment of the International Trade Compliance program across the enterprise. General responsibilities will include 1) managing and conducting export control audits and reviews across the enterprise, including of compliance with our Special Security Agreement (SSA), and 2) assisting with the review and development of voluntary disclosures to the Department of State, Department of Commerce, and other regulators as relevant.
This is a high visibility role with career growth and excellent benefits- BAE offers a 9/80 schedule, some work from home options, an end-of-year week long paid shutdown and a 6% match, with immediate vesting, on 401(k) contributions!
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
1. Provide advice and guidance based on a strong understanding of and substantive experience with licenses and authorizations under the ITAR, EAR, FTR, BATFE, and Treasury (OFAC and Customs) regulations across a wide variety of company platforms and businesses.
2. Assist with the planning and execution of the international trade compliance review and audit risk mitigation program supporting the company's U.S. and non-U.S. owned and managed business facilities.
3. Prepare well-developed draft reports of audits and reviews for senior management evaluation with limited supervision and oversight. A familiarity with structuring audit reports including drafting findings, recommendations, and Strength/Weaknesses/Opportunity/Threat analysis is desirable.
4. Effectively track and monitor Corrective Action Plans for subsequent follow-up verification and closure. Provide ongoing support and guidance to team members and international trade professionals across the enterprise on existing program requirements, adjustments and/or improvements.
5. In partnership with the export control and legal teams in the businesses, conduct internal investigations and root cause analysis in response to potential trade control violations. Prepare accurate, thorough, and complete voluntary disclosure summaries for review by the company's senior management legal team before submission to the appropriate U.S. Government regulatory agency. Maintain required records and monitor completion and implementation of corrective actions associated with disclosure matters.
6. Arrange and conduct international trade training at all levels of employment throughout the company as needed.
7. Provide guidance and assistance to responsible Sector Export Directors, Empowered Officials and Export Control Officers throughout the company on a wide range of international trade matters. Conduct research and analysis of novel international trade issues as necessary.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Required Qualifications and Skills
--Bachelor's Degree and 8+ years of progressively senior experience in the field of US export controls.
--A broad knowledge and understanding of applicable U.S. federal laws and regulations governing the exporting and importing of controlled products, technology, services and software.
--Strong oral and written communication skills. A collaborative nature and strong diplomacy skills. The ability to provide constructive criticism in a way that is heard and actioned.
--Demonstrated familiarity with conducting corporate-level export compliance audits, internal compliance investigations, and voluntary self disclosures.
--Practical experience with Export Control Reform, Order of Review, and jurisdiction and product export classification determinations.
--An understanding of the way different roles played by different business functions (i.e., Engineering; Traffic/Shipping; Program; Business Development; Subcontracts/Procurement; Contracts; Security, etc.) affect the business' compliance posture and/or compliance risk.
--Ability to leverage expertise to independently analyze and determine the root causes of export violations, and to develop recommendations and corrective actions for senior management's consideration and/or action.
-- Ability to develop innovative risk mitigation strategies and methods for delivering value-added support to the businesses in response to regulatory changes, international business opportunities, and internal requirements.
Ability to travel up to 40% of time (primarily domestic with some international travel).
--Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
Preferred Skills and Education
Preferred Skills and Education
-- Master's Degree or JD
-- Prior experience as an Empowered Official
-- Experience working under a Special Security Agreement
-- Experience working with OCR's Export Management Systems
Please submit a writing sample and references with your application
About BAE Systems, Inc.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. People are the greatest asset in any Company. BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top