Guidance, Navigation and Control Engineer
This is a technical experienced position performing complex guidance and control design and analysis for precision guided munition systems. The Guidance, Navigation and Control Group is responsible for all requirements, trade studies, algorithm designs and performance analyses required to develop autonomous products that navigate and guide successfully. Their scope includes aerodynamic analysis and model development, flight control system design and analysis, - actuation system design and analysis, strap down and GPS aided navigation system design and analysis, midcourse and terminal guidance design optimization as well as system performance analysis and flight test verification. The concentration of technical work will be in the autopilot and guidance areas.
- GNC System design, analysis, modeling, and simulation
- Develop autopilot control laws (modern and classical) that reduce sensitivities to aerodynamic and structural interaction uncertainties
- Develop guidance algorithms that optimize midcourse and terminal trajectories for both fixed and highly maneuverable advanced tactical targets.
- Apply knowledge of guidance, navigation, and control theory to develop optimum trajectory guidance laws subject to seeker system and airframe constraints
- Conduct flight system performance analysis including nonlinear modeling, digital control, and system effectiveness analysis
- Apply digital signal processing techniques and navigation system error analysis to verify sensor and filter performance
- Perform post flight reconstruction and analysis to verify system flight test performance and validate flight simulation models
- Develop, modify, and maintain
- software tools to include evaluation under nominal, off-nominal, and Monte Carlo flight modes
- GPS and telemetry processing tools for the reduction and analysis of flight test to determine Best Estimate of Trajectory
- Prepare presentations, reports, research, and other contract deliverables related to designs, analyses, and tests performed
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Master's Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or Applied Mathematics or Applied Physics
- 6+ years of experience in Guidance, Navigation or Controls theory and analysis
- Experience performing systems engineering trade studies, analysis of alternatives, sensitivity analysis, etc.
- Proven skills at developing, testing, and refining flight algorithms for guided projectiles and fire control systems. [Navigation filters, track filters, autopilot approaches, 6DOF missile/projectile fly-out, guidance algorithms, tactical code development, and engagement simulations]
- Has simulated projectile engagements in real-time and non-real-time for requirements analysis, stability analysis, and mission effectiveness analysis, and has developed, tested and delivered code for missile or other projectile systems.
- Relevant experience developing and verifying models of concept weapon systems and subsystems to include,
- airframes, seekers, launch platforms,
- flight dynamics, guidance algorithms,
- environmental models and tracking filters,
- radar aided navigation, up finding, sensor integration,
- agile tail, canard missile flight dynamics and control
- Experience in: autopilot development with a desire for modern control experience, dynamic six degree of freedom modeling and simulation, launch vehicle analysis and navigation systems.
- Experience with modeling and simulation in 3DoF and 6DoF and working experience with C/C++. Must be thoroughly proficient with modeling and simulation using MATLAB/Simulink.
- Must be capable of extending the state of the art optimal trajectory shaping and developing multi-mode/multi-stage guidance laws.
- Must have demonstrated presentation skills and experience interfacing with customer
- Position requires a proactive, self-starting, independent, flexible engineer with excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency with MATLAB and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- 3+ years of experience managing engineers and associated projects.
- MS in Aerospace engineering is preferred, and substitutes for 2 years of experience
- Demonstrated track record developing advanced autopilots, guidance laws and Kalman Filtering
- Demonstrated skills integrating terminal seekers into a projectile system
- Experience in robust multivariable H-infinity/Mu-synthesis, LQI, LQG/LTR, and/or Integrated Guidance and Control (IGC) design
- Capable of extending the state of the art in,
- adaptive control in model reference adaptive control,
- state dependent Riccati equations,
- adaptive sliding mode control, multiple controller mixing, or other approaches.
- Experience with skid-to-turn/bank-to-turn missile or guided munition autopilot design and advanced proportional navigation guidance techniques
- Recent program management experience in an engineering development or production environment
- Currently have a Secret Clearance
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top