Free Space Laser Engineer
BAE Systems is seeking experienced and energetic engineering professionals to augment our established and rapidly expanding engineering team focused on cutting edge Laser Communications Systems. We are looking for Engineers who can function as individual contributors and are interested in leadership roles. The successful candidate will serve as a Free-Space Laser Communications Engineer and will be responsible for developing and maintaining a line of free space optical communication products. Apply now to join a dedicated team designing and building innovative solutions that will continue to lead the industry.
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Architect, design, model, analyze and test free space optical communications systems and components for a variety of military/commercial applications.
- Develop and execute performance verification testing of free-space lasercom systems.
- Develop advanced concepts, techniques, and standards for active optical systems.
Candidates should be capable of developing solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation. A successful candidate exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- BS in EE, Physics, Optics, Communications or equivalent with 10+ years of experience working with free-space laser communications systems; or MS with 8+ years of experience or PhD with 6+ years of experience.
- US Citizen and Eligible for Top Secret clearance
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software and systems engineers.
- In-depth working knowledge of free-space laser communications, lasers, optics, photonics, detectors and FPA's, technology and system trade studies related to lasercom link budgets, atmospheric modeling, acquisition, pointing and tracking, jitter stabilization, communications theory, optical modem designs, and performance testing of optical components, subsystems and complete links.
Experience implementing systems engineering practices and working knowledge of DoD product development lifecycle.
- Experience writing proposals with innovative cost effective solutions.
- Proven design, analysis and communication skills.
- Modeling skills preferred.
- Advanced Technical Degree relevant to Free Space Optical Communications
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top