Flight Plan Processing Software Engineer - MAFPS
BAE Systems is seeking a self-motivated and experienced Software developer skilled in both client and server development for the Mobility Air Forces (MAF) Automated Flight Planning Service (MAFPS) program. The MAFPS system is BAE Systems' solution supporting the Air Mobility Command's need of an evolutionary flight planning service. This service provides modernized flight planning capabilities fully compliant to current and emerging airspace and air traffic control constraints and maximizes fuel efficiency. The work encompasses designing, developing, integrating and delivering major software server and client enhancements over the next two to five years targeted to a cloud environment deployment (i.e., AWS). The MAFPS system replaces the legacy Advanced Computer Flight Planning (ACFP) at the Tanker Airlift Control Center (TACC).
The qualified candidate will work in a rapid development environment as part of a multi-disciplinary powerful and dynamic group of developers whose primary charter is to dominate the development and delivery of automated flight planning practices with state of the art mission planning capabilities paired with natural, insightful, and intuitive user interfaces. The applicant will support design, implement, and test of flight planning capabilities in an operational flight planning system. The applicant will be part of an experienced team inserting new capabilities using an Agile development process as well as supporting maintenance of the current flight planning system. The flight planning system generates complete flight plans meeting complex global airspace business rules involving aircraft flight performance, weather, navigation rules, altitude rules, special use airspace, air refueling, etc.
Responsibilities and Tasks include:
- Work collaboratively with a team of 5-8 developers in designing, implementing, integrating, testing, and debugging Java object-oriented programming flight plan processing features
- Develop an understanding of flight plan processing requirements (e.g., airspace rules, navigation rules), source data (e.g., NGA DAFIF, NOTAMs, forecast weather), and user procedures (e.g., creating and submitting flight plan requests).
- Develop an understanding of the MAFPS Flight Plan Processing (FPP) architecture and software design.
- Support design and code reviews in agile environment using Jira task tracking.
- Support a mix of software tasks including maintenance and new features developed in Java using Eclipse development environment on data center or cloud VMs.
- Support development of automated testing procedures for regression testing of flight plan processing requirements.
- Develop an understanding of flight plan quality (e.g., fuel/time optimization) and viability (e.g., satisfaction of airspace, navigation, and operational constraints).
- Support run-time performance analyses and software improvements for faster solutions.
The candidate should have full software life-cycle development experience with industry experience of 8 years or greater.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in engineering/technical discipline (i.e., physics, math, or related engineering discipline) and 5+ year(s) related experience
- Educational background in numerical optimization and shortest path algorithms (e.g., A*, Dijkstra)
- US Citizenship and a bility to be granted a security clearance by the Federal Government
- Experience in secure coding practices, techniques, and tools
- Java object-oriented programming
- Understanding and skills in software design and code, including Object Oriented Analysis & Design (OOAD) as well as architectural and software design patterns
- Team player with a proactive attitude and the ability to be productive in a dynamic/collaborative environment
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Advanced degree in Mathematical Optimization, Robotics, Operations Research, or similar
- Experience with automated planning algorithms
- Experience or background in flight planning and civil airspace rules
- Experience with flight performance modeling especially Government FPMs.
- Education or experience with previous Mission Planning applications, NGA DAFIF, Joint Mission Planning System(JMPS) and Common Route Definitions (CRDs) a plus
- Agile development experience and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) development experience or training
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top