Flight Controls System Engineer
BAE Systems is looking to hire Senior Principal (12B) and Senior Principal II (13B) level System Engineers to perform activities such as developing and managing systems level requirements, developing operational systems concepts, originating design concepts, developing algorithms, performing systems level integration/test and assisting in systems validation for complex avionics control systems. An individual at this level should demonstrate the leadership ability to lead small work groups or program teams.
Duties and responsibilities involve the following:
1. Performs systems engineering functions by doing one or more of the following:
a. Develop, allocate and manage complex system level requirements.
b. Review, develop and document system level operational concepts and mission statements.
c. Research and develop complex systems designs and architectures.
d. Develop and analyze algorithms.
e. Prepare and/or review documentation for system designs and architectures in accordance with established systems development processes and procedures.
f. Perform system/product integration. ie Flight Control, Actuator and/or Air Data Sensor integration.
g. Verify and validate moderately complex aspects of systems designs to ensure conformance with functional specifications and customer requirements.
h. Produce and/or review technical documents, specifications and standards.
2. May support various specialty-engineering tasks; such as System Safety Engineering tasks, Reliability, Maintainability & Availability analysis, Integrated Logistics Support, Fault Tree & Failure Analysis, and Training Development for complex systems.
3. Able to support site operations and sustainment activities at customer locations.
4. May assist with causal analysis and resolution activities.
5. Support business leaders in identifying potential new products or business opportunities and define associated program requirements.
6. Support proposal development activities, including proposal text development, cost estimating and presentation activities.
7. Able to be a group/task leader. Responsible for scheduling, assigning work, reviewing the technical adequacy of work products, meeting cost and schedule for assigned group and interface coordination with other groups.
8. Prepare and deliver basic customer and technical presentations.
Candidates should possess strong communication skills both written and oral. Candidates should also demonstrate sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers and suppliers.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 12 years of experience in avionics or electronic controls related development, including familiarity with avionic systems (flight controls, actuators, autopilots), interfaces and data buses.
- Experience in full lifecycle development including system requirements and design, system-level integration, validation, and verification.
- Technical writing skills: capable of creating required engineering documentation.
- Experience in integrating electronic equipment including hardware/software.
- Demonstrated experience providing technical leadership.
Preferred Skills and Education · Experience with flight critical fly-by-wire Flight Controls, Actuators, Air Data Systems, Pilot Inceptors, Inertial Sensors and/or Autopilot systems.
- 10-15+ years of experience with development of requirements and operational system concepts.
- Working knowledge of model based development of systems and/or software.
- Familiar with data bus protocols (1553B, Arinc 429, RS422/485, AFDX or CDN).
- Experience with development of formal validation and verification procedures.
- Demonstrated leadership ability to lead working groups or program teams.
- Familiar with ARP4754, DO-178B/C and DO-254 or equivalent stringent process requirements.
- Experience with Requirements Management tools (i.e. Doors) and Configuration Management and Problem Reporting tools.
- Knowledgeable of commercial certification objectives and activities.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Electronic Systems, based in Nashua, New Hampshire, provides systems and products that maximize the effectiveness and safety of fighting forces and first responders. Its offerings include infrared countermeasures and electronic protection systems for military and civilian aircraft; information management systems; signal acquisition, analysis, and exploitation systems that optimize use of the electromagnetic spectrum by friendly forces while denying its use by adversaries; interoperable communications systems for firefighters and other first responders; thermal weapon sights; precision targeting systems; situational awareness systems for ground vehicles; night-vision systems; identification friend or foe systems; and radiation-hardened electronics. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top