FAST Labs Software Engineering Functional Manager
- Burlington, MA
Today's warfighters and intelligence analysts are overwhelmed with data and tasks from a variety of unmanned vehicle systems. Our software helps the warfighter become more effective and efficient in operating groups of unmanned vehicles by developing revolutionary mission management technologies to automate and offload manual control of unmanned assets for many customers in the defense industry. We solve the most difficult problems our country faces so that we can keep our country and our warfighter safe.
The BAE Systems FAST Labs business area is the innovative research and development engine within the Electronic Systems Sector of BAE. Government research agencies such as DARPA, AFRL and ONR come to us to help solve the hard problems facing our military and government.
In your role, you will manage a group of 15 to 30 software engineers, providing them with technical mentoring, career guidance and performance feedback. We want to grow our team and you will be integral in interviewing and hiring new software team members. You will be an active member of the Software Engineering leadership team, shaping the software culture and process while ensuring the staffing and technical needs of the business are met. You will work with our programs using your technical skills and experience to ensure the design, implementation, and sustainment of our software solutions meet and exceed customer expectations. Technical roles include architecture and design reviews, strategic initiative implementation, bid and proposal development, next generation solution planning and other areas of engagement that align with your skills and career aspirations.
Qualified candidates should also possess knowledge of software architectures, software industry best practices, and emerging software technologies.
As a leader within the Software Engineering Directorate, you will help guide engineers in their career advancement as well as push software initiatives and best practices across the FAST Labs organization. The organization focuses on career development of our software engineers and advancement of the craft of software engineering. You will work alongside other highly motivated engineers passionate about software and protecting our military service personnel.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship or Permanent Resident status
Required Skills and Education
- Eligible for a Security Clearance
- Experience in a functional manager role for 3+ years
- Software development experience
- Ability to guide employees through complicated or difficult situations effectively and professionally
- Excellent team player who is willing to contribute in any capacity and assume full ownership (imperfections and all) of their work
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Current US Citizenship is required.
- Solid experience presenting to technical audiences
- Solid analytic and project and personnel leadership skills
- Secret, Top Secret or SCI (Sensitive Compartmented Information) clearances highly desired
- Experience managing other managers
- Current C++ or Java software development experience on Windows or Linux
- Full Life-Cycle Software Development experience
- Linux System Administration
- Proficiency with software build tools such as Jenkins, JIRA, BitBucket, Subversion, CMake and Ant
- Experience with any of Distributed Systems, Multi-threaded systems, or Military systems or simulations
- Architecture experience
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top