Fast Labs - Program Manager, Technology Scouting
The Program Manager of Technology Scouting brings the market experience in the identification and leverage of early-stage technologies from academic and commercial enterprises critical to Electronic Systems' technology strategy, business strategy, and long-term growth. This position will report directly to the Director of Technology Scouting of BAE Systems Fast Lab.
ES develops and delivers a wide range of products for the commercial and military electronics markets. Our product portfolio includes flight and engine controls, electronic warfare and night vision systems, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors, mobile networked-communications equipment, systems integration, and environmentally friendly energy management systems. Additionally, the portfolio also includes advanced technology research and development in advanced electronics, electronic warfare, cyber, autonomy, and sensors & processing across air, land, sea, space, and cyber domains. The Director of Technology Scouting will be responsible for supporting long-term market growth and competitive advantage synergistic to internal research & development efforts by identifying early-stage technologies and technology trends external to BAE Systems in research universities, commercial companies, start-ups, and government sponsored laboratories that fit into the overall technology strategy for the enterprise.
The successful candidate will work with a dedicated team that is current, connected, and highly competent in the US technology eco-system. This team will establish, maintain and build relationships with venture capital communities, start-ups, research universities, and accelerators/incubators for the strategic purpose of identifying early-stage disruptive technologies that could provide competitive advantage to ES diverse product portfolio. Beyond technology identification, this team seeks opportunities for collaboration, partnering, and technology sourcing through innovative business models between ES and external organizations. This will also include support to potential merger & acquisition pursuits and partnerships. Engagement with top research universities will be critical and inclusive leading direct investments where applicable. In addition, the candidate will establish and evolve collaborative relationships within BAE Systems to gain necessary insight into technology & market trends, product architecture & capability needs, and business strategy.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Implement an external technology scouting function that builds and maintains target relationships with venture capital firms, start-ups, technology incubators, research universities, and government labs
- Identification and monitoring of disruptive technology trends external to BAE Systems in the defense and commercial markets relevant to ES business and technology strategy
- Identification of external sourcing and acquisition of technologies to ES businesses through innovative business models
- Omnipresence at top research universities and lead direct investments where applicable
- Direct support of potential commercial M&A evaluations and pursuits to include strategic partnering opportunities
- Direct support of communications and external messaging to promote BAE Systems branding and image
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Typically, a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or Master and 8 years work or experience or a PhD and 5 years work. * Required Skills
- 3 years of experience in early-stage technology identification and research & development that serve technology-product-business strategies
- Working knowledge of university business relations and technology research with industry. Track record of establishing successful relationships with research faculty
- Experience in developing and communicating technology strategies that are integral to business and product strategies considerate of market trends, technology trends, competitive landscape, organizational capabilities, IP/business discriminators, investment resources, and business case/value delivery
- Ability to think strategically and formulate strategic vision, strategies, and implement actions to achieve goals in a changing environment.
- Strong customer focus and demonstrated ability to build and manage relationships with senior business leaders and highly technical staff
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the cooperate community
- Business development mindset with in-depth experience in the development of growth strategies.
- Proven ability to plan and execute near & long term technology strategies across organizational boundaries.
- Experience in events organization and management.
- Competent in talent management and development, performance management, mentoring, coaching, and team communications.
- Eligible for US Top Secret/SCI Security Clearance (active clearance strongly preferred)
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering, electronic engineering, computer science, mathematics or physics highly preferred.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top