FAST Labs Principal Software Engineer
As a Principal Software Engineer in FAST Labs Software Engineering, you will work with a cross-functional team under the guidance and mentorship of a Principal or Chief Engineer to demonstrate the solutions to some of the United States' most pressing problems. You will help break down and estimate functionality, and provide feedback to project leadership such as improvements to system designs, algorithms or user interfaces.
You will support and work closely with the Integration and Information Analytics (I2A) group which is focused on advancing the state-of-the-art in data processing and automated sensor control. I2A's technologies integrate multiple data products including radar, video, and signals intelligence into clear and consolidated situational awareness pictures for operators and commanders. Applications of this technology include: space, land, air, and maritime surveillance; IED detection; insurgent detection and tracking; border patrol; and long-range strike systems.
As a technical representative and owner of systems and products, you will occasionally travel (about 10% of the time) to customer sites for meetings and technical discussions and participate in field events and flight tests. And, have opportunities to develop strong and increasingly complex software skills and stay current in the software discipline. The organization focuses on career development of our software engineers and advancement of the craft of software engineering.
You don't see it, but it's there. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from saving emissions in the City of Lights to powering the Mars Rover to protecting the F-35 fighter jet. At Electronic Systems, you'll be among the brightest minds, working on the aerospace and defense industry's most difficult problems. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first - exemplified by our missions: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®" and "We Innovate For Those Who Move The WorldTM." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
Through research programs funded by science and technology R&D organizations within the U.S. Department of Defense, the research and development team in FAST Labs collaborate across the enterprise. On this team, you'll have the opportunity to create and develop advanced technology capabilities in the areas of advanced electronics, autonomy, cyber, electronic warfare, and sensors and processing.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- An active Secret security clearance is required
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering related discipline with 6+ years of experience, or Master's Degree and 4 years of experience
- Object-Oriented language experience (C++ or Java)
- Software development experience in a Linux environment
- Excellent team player who is willing to contribute in any capacity
- Motivated individual with strong problem-solving abilities
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Top Secret or SCI (Sensitive Compartmented Information) clearances highly desired
- Current Java software development experience on Windows or Linux
- Current C++ software development experience on Windows or Linux
- Full Life-Cycle Software Development experience
- Linux System Administration
- Proficiency with software build tools such as Jenkins, Subversion, CMake and Ant
- Experience with any of Distributed Systems, Multi-threaded systems, or Military systems or simulations
- Architecture experience
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top