FAST Labs - Principal EO/IR Scientist
BAE Systems is seeking energetic candidates to augment our research and development team focused on cutting edge Electro-Optical Infrared (EOIR) sensors and sensing systems. The successful candidate will be an individual contributor and program team lead responsible for developing and demonstrating next generation EOIR sensors, systems, and techniques..
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Model, analyze, and test EOIR systems and components for a variety of military/commercial applications.
- Execute and analyze EOIR laboratory and field experiments.
- Develop and demonstrate advanced algorithms, measurement techniques, and systems prototypes.
- Lead small interdisciplinary teams to meet program technical and schedule goals
- Develop external proposals for novel technologies, algorithms, or systems
- Develop solutions to related challenges of unusual complexity which require a high degree of ingenuity, creativity, and innovativeness.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
- BS in EE, Physics, Optics, Electro-optics or equivalent with 6+ years of experience working with complex EOIR systems; or MS in EE, Physics, Optics, Electro-Optics or equivalent with 4+ years of experience working with complex EOIR systems.
- US Citizen with active Secret clearance.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software and systems engineers.
- Experience working independently and interacting effectively with project management to achieve project goals.
- In-depth working knowledge of one or more optical system specialties; i.e. lasers, precision pointing of laser beams, design of pointing systems, performance testing of optical components and subsystems, atmospheric correction, optical communications, etc.
- Experience implementing systems engineering practices and working knowledge of DoD product development lifecycle
- Modeling and simulation expertise in at least one common language (i.e. MATLAB, Mathmatica, Python, C/++, etc.)
Preferred Skills and Education
- Demonstrated history of proposals, project capture, and customer interaction
- Expertise in at least one optical application including Infrared Countermeasures, Passive detection and tracking, LIDAR, coherent LIDAR, remote sensing, or laser communications
- Expertise in software, firmware, electrical or mechanical hardware
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top