FAST Labs - DEFI Technology Development Manager
-How can you maintain shared situational awareness across a distributed, partially networked set of platforms in the presence of active communications jamming?
-Old-school radar operators fault automated tracking and state estimation because it is a deterministic process - it does not learn patterns that a human finds easily. How can we correct that by adding learning to our state estimation and tracking algorithms?
-Multi-Hypothesis Tracking (MHT) has been the standard for multi-target, multi-sensor fusion for decades. Recently, graph-based approaches have become popular. Can Random Finite Sets (RFS) improve the computational and functional performance over both?
-Social media by itself represents a massive amount of information. Can we combine it with traditional data sources like SIGINT and MASINT to do even more?
These are actual problems that the scientists and researchers in Distributed Estimation, Fusion, and Integration (DEFI) are working to solve every day.
As a Technology Development Manager (TDM) in DEFI, you will work with the director to shape, capture, and lead new programs across our tracking and fusion portfolio. Our typical project duration is 1-3 years, which helps keep the research new and interesting, but the projects don't just die when the initial program ends. DEFI is part of BAE Systems FAST Labs, which acts as the research and development core of Electronic Systems' five other business areas. Once we finish the research, we work to transition our programs to those business areas. Our tracking, fusion, and analytic algorithms go to the Command, Control, Communications, and Computers Intelligence, Surveillance, and Recognizance Systems (C4ISR) business area to improve their products that are used by military and intelligence analysts every day. Or they may go to the Electronic Combat Solutions (ECS) business area to add capability to their electronic warfare systems installed on aircraft like the F-35 or B-2. By sitting at the heart of BAE Systems' R&D organization, our research has a direct path through the greater company to enhance the capabilities of American soldiers.
The two primary responsibilities of the TDM are to develop and capture new business opportunities and to lead the execution of our programs
- Provide leadership oversight and active engagement in the development and pursuit of business opportunities. Maintain awareness of the company's competitive position and identifies potential new products or business and pursues them with support from company leadership
- Lead technical proposals
- Plans critical long-range technological requirements
- Independently identifies and solves significant problems associated with the success of current and critical long-range objectives
- Serves in a leadership role on highly complex research or system engineering efforts as a program manager, project lead or technical lead
- Works across a broad range of disciplines to structure undefined programs, identify key technical issues and define alternative approaches and resolutions
- Applies and develops advanced technologies, principles, theories, and concepts; maintains liaison with customer or contractor representatives to manage, review, monitor, and evaluate alignment with customer's objective and contractual requirements.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Works across a broad range of disciplines to structure undefined programs, identifying key technical issues and defining alternative approaches and resolutions.
- Proposal writing experience/aptitude.
- Applies and develops advanced technologies, principles, theories, and concepts.
- Strong analytic and project and personnel leadership skills
- Creates and analyzes highly complex software and/or system engineering architectures and designs
- Experience with software and system development lifecycle and development processes and procedures.
- Experience leading or managing programs for highly complex software systems within budget and schedule.
- Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status and eligibility to obtain a US Security Clearance.
- Doctorate degree in an Engineering or Scientific field discipline with 6+ years professional experience; Master's degree with 8+ years professional experience; Bachelor's Degree with 10+ years of experience.
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top