Facility Project Engineer - Principal
The York, PA site of BAE Systems is seeking a Facility Project Engineer Principal to support its Combat Vehicles facility.
Facility Project Engineer Principal for mid to high level scope projects. Plans, designs and coordinates facility renovations, layouts, assembly line relocations, equipment updates and utility support; may include infrastructure modernization, maintenance and upgrading of plant electrical and mechanical systems, structures, architecture and interior finishes; ensures facilities compliance with OSHA, EPA, applicable codes (NEC, IBC, ADA) and local, state and federal codes and regulations. Applies mechanical engineering standards for structural designs in a manufacturing setting. Develops implementation schedules for maintenance and/or subcontractor activities relating to facilities modernization, coordinating those activities to minimize production/operation delays or lost time and ensures compliance to schedules and project objectives. Investigates need for new facilities and equipment; participates in make or buy decision. Develops specifications for electrical, mechanical and necessary utilities which support facilities project implementation. Ensures technical outcomes are consistent with established engineering principles and practices and that customer and company technical, system, performance and quality requirements are met.
- Creates, plans and performs engineering design, development and/or analysis tasks of moderate to high level complexity for a project or may lead these activities for a small project. Ensures tasks meet cost, quality, schedule and performance requirements.
- Applies Engineering design and/or analytical theory, principles, techniques and practices to a portion of a technical project.
- Manages assigned facility project in area of training, including meeting with customers to define project scope, determining conceptual design approach, developing and monitoring project budgets and schedules, handling communication during construction, monitoring construction quality, negotiating changes, creating a punch-list and certifying completion for final payment.
- Applies knowledge of facility design to solve moderately to highly complex and clearly defined engineering problems. Selects the best methods or process from among several existing alternatives. Where applicable, uses structural analysis software to determine those best methods or process.
- Develops and writes technical documentation, makes revisions to existing documentation and provides input to technical papers or presentations. May deliver technical presentations.
- Performs technical analysis, testing, calculations and evaluation of results to solve moderately to highly complex engineering problems using specialized equipment and/or by computer programs.
- Provides input to project leaders for the development of project plans, schedules and budgets.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with customers to solve technical problems of moderate to high complexity.
- Analyzes and interprets design specifications, drawings, documentation, models and/or test results to ensure technical designs comply with applicable engineering standards, military specifications and product requirements.
- Analyzes and recommends methods for improving efficiency and reducing environmental impact of plant operations.
- Provides input on equipment reliability and robust design.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of relevant engineering discipline(s), industry practices, trends and applications.
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures compliance with safety policies and rules.
- Shares responsibility of self-development with immediate supervisor.
- Budget responsibility: responsible for estimated and actual costs on projects managed.
- Problem solving: uses engineering and scientific principles, logic and defined procedures to complete tasks with supervision.
- Area of impact: performance on project costs and schedules can affect programs.
- Interpersonal skills: courtesy and tact is a significant part of the job in the exchange of information within the department and project team.
- Negotiation skills: required to negotiate project changes and to negotiate with customers on project scope and schedule.
- Project management: project team member or leader.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of a relevant technical field of specialization.
- Familiarity with current computer applications including desktop publishing, AutoCAD, and MS Office Suite (Project, PowerPoint, Excel & Visio).
- Highly effective mental/visual aptitude required to analyze facility problems and recommend solutions.
- M.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline. Prefer mechanical engineering experience with relevant applications in an industrial environment.
- Prefer Professional Engineering license in Mechanical design.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top