Facilities Engineering Intern - Summer 2019
BAE Systems, one of the world's largest defense contractors and Fortune 500 Company, is seeking a Facilities Engineering Intern for Summer 2019 at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant in Radford, VA.
Support a Facility Engineer with execution of maintenance efforts and assigned projects which includes but not limited to meeting with customers to define project scope, determining conceptual design approach, developing and monitoring project budgets and schedules, handling communication during project execution, negotiating changes, creating a punch-list and certifying completion for final payment. Responsible for civil drawings/sketches, scope-of-work, estimates for subcontract and materials, provide technical support and coordination of subcontractors and maintenance functions. This position serves under the direct supervision of the Engineering Program Manager.
• Interact with production personnel to help define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas with regard to our products.
• Support senior engineer in repairing and modifying manufacturing equipment
• Support senior engineer in machine and component design, redesign or replacement.
• Support senior engineer in developing mechanical systems and machine designs. Design layouts including required specifications using established engineering procedures and sound judgement.
• Learn how to plan, design, and coordinate the integration of machinery and equipment into manufacturing processes with a high level of proficiency.
• Review specifications and documents for contract pre-award and post-award with subcontracting firms and/or internal crafts.
• Update drawings and other project documentation with contractors and coordinate availability of materials, tools, and equipment required for projects.
• Inspects contractor work efforts and determines final acceptance
Required Skills and Education
Currently enrolled in school for bachelor's degree program in BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field from an accredited university
• Must have a high level of attention to detail along with good organizational skills
• Ability to interpret civil and structural engineering specifications and construction drawings.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Education or experience in mechanical and machine design.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint and Internet
- Proficient or better in AutoCAD or Inventor
- Familiar with Microsoft Project
- Heating, ventilation & air conditioning system design/installation
- Preventive Maintenance Programs
- Process piping design/installation
- Pump systems design/installation
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top