Environmental Engineer / Scientist
BAE Systems is seeking a senior level Environmental Engineer/Scientist to manage the air quality program at the government owned contractor operated Radford Army Ammunition Plant (RFAAP). The Environmental Engineer will be responsible for implementing and maintaining environmental protection and compliance with RFAAP's air quality permits (i.e. Title V permit and various NSR permits) including acting as a liaison with local, state and federal environmental agencies as well as integrating the air quality program into the manufacturing environment. Additionally, the Environmental Engineer will be a key contributor to internal teams working on modernizing and expanding RFFAP's operations and capabilities to include acting as a technical expert for air quality permitting strategies related to PSD and NSR requirements and long-term facility impacts. Key responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with manufacturing areas, facility operators, and the R&D team to ensure a compliant air quality program
- Managing various subcontractors involved in modernization and facility projects
- Ensuring compliance with NESHAP requirements
- Validating, gathering, and analyzing air emission data for internal and external reporting
- Supporting RFAAP's EMS by conducting audits and investigating non conformances
- Developing facility permit strategies for process changes and modernization
- Supporting the RMP program and participating in emergency response
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in Environmental Engineering / Chemistry or other related area and minimum of 6 years' experience in the environmental field with at least 4 years in air quality.
- Candidate must have a thorough knowledge and understanding of EPA and industry practice and the ability to work independently and interact with representatives of regulatory agencies in a professional manner.
- Candidate must have good analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills with the ability to develop solutions to complex problems and experience coordinating complex projects on diverse teams.
- Candidate must have above average written and verbal communication skills with the ability to coordinate multiple priorities at the same time in a fast-paced environment with little oversight or supervision.
- A master's degrees in the environmental or engineering field and 10 years' experience.
- Prefer at least 3 years' experience working at a chemical or energetics manufacturing facility or other industry facility with a Title V permit and complex air quality permits.
- Experience working the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and Department of Defense preferred.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top