Environmental Affairs Specialist
- Kingsport, TN
BAE Systems, Ordnance Systems Inc., is seeking an Environmental Affairs Specialist to assist the Environmental Department with program oversight at Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN. The selected candidate will be responsible for development and implementation of programs and policies to ensure timely regulatory compliance, business alignment, and Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) objectives are met while maintaining cost effectiveness. The selected candidate will work across multiple environmental program areas to support recordkeeping, waste management, and permit monitoring requirements for the installation. Additionally, this individual will be expected to provide site-specific environmental assessments to include: regulatory applicability determinations, permitting options and strategy development, training needs, internal auditing, and evaluation of facility compliance. The position will report directly to the site's Environmental Manager.
The Environmental Affairs Specialist will:
- Ability and willingness to perform/contribute across multiple environmental program media to include: Air, Solid/Hazardous Waste and Wastewater Programs.
- Assist in developing and implementing programs for environmental monitoring in support of various projects with varying complexity.
- Support various permit driven record-keeping requirements.
- Support various parametric monitoring requirements.
- Actively support Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR) compliance program.
- Compile and monitor environmental data in reports or database format.
- Coordinate or assist with various solid and hazardous waste disposal needs.
- Participate or lead environmental incident investigations.
- Actively participate in permit renewal and modification activities as required.
- Proactively monitor and ensure operational awareness and ability to comply with future regulations or industry trends.
- Identify, analyze, manage and implement practical, cost-effective solutions to environmental and regulatory issues.
- Review and provide input to capital funded projects for environmental impacts or permitting needs.
- Work with management to further influence company culture to achieve environmental excellence.
- Provide technical advice, coaching, guidance, and mentoring to employees on environmental initiatives and necessary changes to meet the mission and vision of the Environmental Program
- Actively support the site's ISO 14001 EMS to identify and mitigate potential environmental impacts, potential non-compliance, and adverse public perception.
- Lead initiatives as appropriate to implement environmental programs to achieve compliance and continuous improvement.
Required Skills and Education
Bachelor's of Science Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Chemistry or other related field with a minimum of 4 years environmental compliance experience or equivalent with at least 3 of those years in the air quality or waste management programs.
Must have a thorough knowledge and understanding of EPA and industry practice.
Ability to work independently and interact with representatives of regulatory agencies in a professional manner
Good analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills; able to develop solutions to complex problems
Experience coordinating complex projects and working with staﬀ and other departments to achieve desired objectives
Good written and verbal communication skills
Ability to meet project deliverables and deadlines
Preferred Skills and Education
Experience with Environmental Compliance work in an industrial setting, preferably the chemical manufacturing industry
Experience with State of Tennessee rules and regulations
Experience with Army Regulations or Government Contracting Practices
Experience with ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top