Engineering Software Tools Lead
- San Diego, CA
BAE Systems, Inc. is seeking an Engineering Software Tools Lead for a datacenter and cloud computing engineering group. This group supports software engineering computing environment for multiple programs, Research & development projects, Initiatives, and proposal efforts across the business area.
This role would be responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning for the engineering tools that provide day-to-day support for software and systems engineering development. The candidate is expected to have a good understanding of how to install, operate and maintain a wide variety of software tools, such as Atlassian tools (Confluence, Bitbucket, Jira, Jira Service Desk, FishEye/Crucible), DevSecOps tools (Jenkins, GitLab, Azure DevOps), other collaboration tools (Mattermost chat).
The Software Tools Lead is also responsible for working with programs to properly obtain approval for software downloads and ensuring the software approval process is operating at optimal efficiency. The software approval portion of the position includes reviewing software End User License Agreements (EULAs) and requesting assistance from contracts and legal teams when necessary.
Job responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Test, evaluate, deploy, monitor, configure & troubleshoot software tools to support software engineering teams
- On-board new tenants/engineers on the tools and create, document, follow best practices or processes for doing so
- Work with business areas throughout the company regarding the use of Open Source Software (OSS) including updates to the Open Source policies
- Understanding of process flows and business process maps, value streams, and the ability to translate customer requirements to projects and workflows
- Review and approve software licenses for all tools and add-ons used by the team
- Work with the local security team to manage unauthorized data disclosures
- Provide on-call or after-hours support of critical systems
- Document evaluation results, configuration for new and existing systems, changes, best practices, processes, issues & resolutions
- Actively participate in incident response and root-cause analysis, support a blameless post-mortems culture
- Document root-cause analysis and offer solutions to prevent future tools issues/outages
- Work with Industrial Security to develop and apply hardening configurations for systems for classified use to RMF requirements
- Automate repetitive tasks to eliminate toil and drive consistency + repeatability
- Participate in creating customized scripts/mechanisms to evaluate, monitor and report tools usage statistics
- Provide or develop successful automation techniques supporting improvements in customer processes, application installation or applications usage
- Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems, application installations within a networked environment and experience troubleshooting basic network issues
- Demonstrated experience providing support to customers, basic conflict resolution techniques, influencing people, attention to detail, multi-tasking and inferencing skills
- Excellent documentation skills for processes, issues & resolutions
- Ability to perform trade studies and evaluations for various software tools
- Experience working with appropriate scripting languages and operating systems software (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby, PowerShell, Bash)
- Should be customer service oriented, attentive to detail, self-motivated and work well in teams
- Need to be willing to respond to occasional off-hours outages and take part in subsequent service restoration efforts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with Atlassian Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Mattermost and CI/CD tools such as GitLab, Azure DevOps, Jenkins, etc.
- Security+ certification or similar
- Customer support experience with understanding of Service Level agreements and use of enterprise IT service management application
- ITILv3 certification or understanding of ITIL concepts
- Familiarity with federal cybersecurity standards e.g. NIST SP 800-171 or 800-53
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top