Engineering Manager / Project Technical Lead
BAE Systems FAST Labs™ is seeking experienced and energetic engineering professionals to augment and help lead our established and rapidly expanding engineering team developing next generation technology in one or more of the following product areas:
- Autonomy, Controls, and Estimation
- Cyber Technology
- Radio Frequency Electronic Warfare and Advanced Electronics
- Sensor Processing and Exploitation
- Sensor Technology
Many engineers at FAST Labs have made significant contributions to projects for the nation's most prestigious research organizations including DARPA, IARPA, Army Research Labs (ARL), Navy Research Labs (NRL), and Air Force Research Labs (AFRL).
We are looking for a Product Technical Lead (PTL) who can coordinate and manage the engineering activities and is interested in a leadership role in a growing market. The PTL will support a portfolio of programs within the assigned technology focused product line(s).
The successful candidate will serve as the Engineer Manager responsible for managing program engineering activities from early development phases through the transition of designs into production of complex, innovative, next generation technology products.
This role reports into the Systems Engineering Department and specific job responsibilities include:
- Ensure the engineering team adheres to all aspects of company policy with respect security, safety, export control, ethics and engineering rigor.
- Manage engineering cost, schedule and technical scope on the program.
- Serve as the Engineering focal point for the project for integrated plans, issues reporting, and risk & opportunities management.
- Prime customer POC for all technical issues - REQUIRES good communication skills - both written and verbal.
- Coordinate technical input for proposals and participate in subsequent contract negotiations.
- Interface with project management, engineering cost account managers, design teams and functional engineering organizations to obtain agreement on allocated requirements, to resolve/clarify/revise system level requirements issues and ambiguities in configuration item design during the program development phase.
- Review all technical changes to requirements from the program office. Coordinate the analysis of the impact of technical changes to schedule/budget and ensure implementation and consistent design integrity.
- Interface with functional engineering organizations to ensure programs are adequately staffed and successfully executed.
- Manage risks and opportunities in cooperation with the assigned system engineering manager and across other teams.
- Work with Principle Investigators and customer to maintain notional schedule of program activities.
- Mentor and guide engineers involved in program activities.
- Presents the engineering position at the Request for Bid Approval, Technical Bid Review, and other Program Phase Reviews.
The ideal candidate will be a good decision maker that has experience in military electronics, managing programs and leading/coordinating the engineering activities of others. Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with customers are also required. A successful candidate exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments.
Apply now to join a dedicated team designing and building innovative solutions that will continue to lead the industry.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Active Secret DoD clearance and Top Secret eligible (Active TS preferred).
- 5+ years of major program or mid-scale project leadership experience is required.
- Recent experience directing and supervising engineering and technical personnel on a major program, project or activity with a demonstrated ability to achieve high results.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage change and innovate.
- Ability to apply analytical thought to resolve issues in a variety of complex situations without supervision.
- Ability to develop and execute program plans, including establishing and managing internal/external planning, marketing strategies, budgets, staffing forecasts, and schedules necessary to achieve program goals.
- Interfaces with customers on all program issues including marketing, cost, schedule, technical and contractual status.
- Provides program leadership, anticipates and resolves problems, and ensures inter-group cooperation to meet all program obligations and objectives.
- Develops strategies for proposal preparation, negotiations and pricing decisions.
- Supports the program manager and contracts manager during major proposal negotiations.
- Active Tope Secret clearance preferred.
- Experience implementing systems engineering practices and working knowledge of DoD product development lifecycle.
- Experience working on proposals.
- Working knowledge of EVMS systems and Project management tools such as CPI/SPI and IMS.
- Prior PTL or relevant technical management experience.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top