Engineering Manager - ECS Hardware
See what you're missing. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first - exemplified by our mission: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®." Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
Our team is looking for an Engineering Manager within our Electronic Combat Solutions business area.
We are interested in candidates with leadership and project management experience. Candidates who have had a role in new development and/or established programs are ideal.
This position will be responsible for partnering with our product group leads to manage hardware engineering resources across programs within an assigned Product Realization Group. Disciplines associated with hardware include digital, RF, firmware, and mechanical engineers.
Primary tasks will include:
- Staffing current and projected hardware engineering needs, providing oversight of program execution relative to hardware content, and ensuring engineering processes are being adhered to throughout the product lifecycle.
- Working closely with our project technical leads and hardware managers to ensure overall success of our programs.
- Manage hardware program performance metrics and clearly communicate program status to internal customers and senior leadership.
- Oversee lifecycle phases including, but are not limited to, design development, verification, integration, and production support.
Candidate must demonstrate strong technical aptitude and leadership skills. Experience with leading multi-disciplined engineering teams through one or more phases of the hardware product lifecycle is important, as the individual will be in a position to influence program execution and mentor hardware leads.
Responsibilities may include:
- Partner with Project Technical Leads to determine "right person right job", particularly for critical skills
- Working with Project Technical Leads to determine program staffing needs
- Collaborate with Engineering Talent Leads to fill program staffing requirements and develop a talent pipeline which aligns with current and future program needs
- Support Ramp to Rate and transition to production collaborative initiatives with Product Group Leads on staffing and program execution
- Build and influence hardware program teams
- Mentor Hardware Leads
- Provide discipline oversight to program execution
- Serve as design review chair for development programs to ensure reviews meet hardware guidelines, and to ensure appropriate subject matter experts are engaged
- Review and approve hardware bids and proposals
- Proactively work program staffing needs, sometimes independent of project technical leads
- Support proposal efforts to capture new business
- Regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in technical areas. Exercise considerable judgment in determining team objectives based on project requirements
- Provide inputs on personnel performance
- Supervise a team of 10-12 like-discipline engineers
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 10 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Eligible for DOD Security Clearance.
- 10+ years' applicable experience.
- Ability to drive activities to closure.
- Experience leading multidiscipline engineering teams.
- Experience with the design, build, integration and/or test of complex electronic systems.
- Motivated self-starter with leadership skills and ability to effectively work in a team environment.
- Excellent problem solving skills, judgment, and analytical capability.
- Experience presenting technical information to program teams and/or customers.
- Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Active DOD Security Clearance.
- Strong understanding of Product Lifecycle management processes.
- Demonstrated success managing all hardware engineering aspects of requirements definition, design, integration, test and delivery of complex Electronic Warfare systems.
- Prior Project Engineer / Control Account Manager (CAM) experience, including managing earned value metrics, such as Cost Performance Index (CPI) and Schedule Performance Index (SPI).
- Proficiency using MS Office and MS Project.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Arun P.Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top