Engineer Systems Integration - Combat Systems
BAE Systems is seeking a Senior Systems Integration Engineer to be part of our team. This position will be located in Wallops Island, VA at the Surface Combat Systems Center (SCSC). The SCSC is located on a barrier island on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and is a tenant of the NASA's Wallops Flight Facility. SCSC provides live combat systems suites with platform specific radars and sensors and supports the following functions: combat system lifetime support engineering, platform certification, operational and technical evaluation, combat system training, interoperability testing and participates in at-sea exercises. SCSC provides a high-fidelity representative combat system of every ship in the AEGIS, Ship Self Defense System (SSDS) fleet today and those planned in the future.
The successful candidate will provide leadership and oversight for the Navy's AEGIS programs in multiple warfare areas using system engineering disciplines. Duties and responsibilities will include but will not be limited to the following:
- Manages the planning, design, engineering, and manpower estimating for new AEGIS baseline integrations and other projects
- Responsible for ensuring the conversion of customer or product requirements into a total solution that includes technical, schedule, risk and cost
- Ensures strict adherence to all mechanical and electrical hardware specifications
- Lead a team responsible for installation of BMD and Combat System upgrades on US AEGIS DDG and CG Class ships
- Lead the engineering team responsible for installation of SSDS Combat System upgrades and activations
- Responsible for reviewing detail design drawings, conducting installation inspections of the AEGIS CG-47 and DDG-51 Class Ship combat systems equipment and related support systems equipment
- Participate and lead design reviews
- Monitor activation budgets and participate in the development of project ROMs and associated material and labor estimates
- Represent the organization as a technical point of contact. Interact with senior external partners on technical matters requiring cooperation between organizations
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Minimum education and years of related work experience required: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Technical or Scientific discipline and at least 10 years of demonstrated knowledge relevant to AEGIS, AEGIS BMD, SSDS, or DDG 1000 Weapons and Combat Systems.
Strong coordination, organization, teaming and communication abilities. Ability to develop solutions to a wide range of complex system-of-systems technical problems that require ingenuity, innovation and collaboration with multiple stakeholders. Ability to perform and understand multiple tasks simultaneously.
Security clearance requirement: Must be eligible to obtain and then maintain a DoD Secret security clearance (U.S. Citizenship required). Selected candidate will receive a contingent offer and a delayed start date until an interim clearance is granted.
Preferred Skills and Education
Highly desired, but not required:
Active DoD Secret security clearance
Ability to read and comprehend production drawings
Ability to read and comprehend military specifications for electrical and optical cable, connectors and backshells, and system design, integration and integrity testing
Familiarity with the latest applicable Military Specifications for electrical and optical cable, connector, backshell, and system design, integration, and integrity testing
Prior experience as an installation engineer in ship repair facilities or equivalent industrial environments
Prior experience with equipment engineering change installation (Field Changes, Engineering Changes, ORDALTs, SHIPALTs, Field Modification Bulletins)
Prior shipboard operational experience with AEGIS or SSDS combat systems
Experience with ship support systems (HP/LP Air, dry air, 400Hz SSFC Systems, Electronic Cooling Water Systems)
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do-from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That's BAE Systems. That's Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Program Engineering Manager
Arun oversees the technical and operational aspects of engine control system projects for the company’s commercial airline clients around the world.
Back to top