Eng Prin - Sys
Serves as Sr. System Engineer with the IT/IS Compute Services Exploitation Software O&S Team, providing systems administration, integration, establishing new user accounts, assigning privileges, maintaining and troubleshooting systems and software problems.
- Provide Tier II and Tier III levels of support in a Red Hat Linux environment.
- Responsible for establishing and updating procedures and documentation and performing daily system monitoring and maintenance; providing direct customer support on specified IT/IS supported architecture and systems.
- Interfaces with other segments of the Washington Area Library Architecture (WALA) to maintain softcopy product availability and maintain CORBA transaction management.
- The position requires a knowledgeable use of Red Hat Linux, C++, Perl, JAVA, and HTML.
- Provide operations support including technical investigation, trouble shooting, work-arounds and emergency fixes to keep the NES system operating in a 24x7 environment.
- Candidate is also responsible for applying problem-solving techniques to identify issues in the database and software; developing processes and tools to enable better troubleshooting and monitoring of the WALA systems; interfacing with the database, server and data validation teams; and taking corrective action through the use of tools integral to the system.
- Capture and document problems thru investigative techniques and provide information in the form of PRs (Problem reports) to be worked by the development contractor.
- Monitor, capture and provide a real-time display of the status of the overall WALA architecture used by all segments to ensure its overall health and stability.
- Other responsibilities include establishing new user accounts, assigning privileges, and maintaining system security, troubleshooting system and software problems; establishing and updating procedures and documentation and performing daily system monitoring and maintenance, data backup and restoration, data processing utilities, shell scripting, batch processing, security log audits, creation and deployment of server and workstation images; investigate, analyze, correct and test software related issues; update software procedures to validate the software requirements specs; application problem resolution; and provide software related support to customer; develop, compile, test and deploy custom scripting to user specifications for problem resolution; assist in hardware/software integration; investigate vendor vulnerability updates and patches and create/modify scripting to assure system configuration compatibilities; monitors system daily for proper operation, performs routine system preventative and restorative maintenance. Customer service and collaboration are required when interacting with the Development Contractor and ISP Contractors for incident resolution and ensure enterprise system availability.
- Maintains Windows, Linux and Unix Systems for a high visibility national system comprised of multiple servers at local and remote locations.
- Administer standalone and network installation, file system management, backups, process control, user administration, and device management.
- Responsible for resolving a wide variety of complex system failures, troubleshooting software, hardware, and network problems, and monitoring and addressing Service Center trouble tickets and ISR's as required.
- Team provides 24x7 on-site support to mission critical systems and user support and administration.
- Provide O&M functions such as hard drive removal, performance optimization, and research and installation of current patches, and where applicable install and support storage peripherals.
- Conduct system backups and restores.
- Schedule and conduct preventative maintenance on hardware and software.
- Conduct analysis to determine cause for discrepancies realized through the routine data validation tests or customer defined problems.
- Participate in Technical Exchange Meetings (TEMs) with various Government Technical Officers and External Customers to determine procedures, modifications, software modifications, hardware modifications, or development of future technologies or capabilities related to data management or data validation.
- Generate Discrepancy Reports (DRs) and Requests for Change (RFCs) and track progress made to rectify discrepancies.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Human Resources Manager
Melissa advises BAE Systems on the full HR spectrum. She brings in new talent, prepares team members for success, pops in on payroll and benefits, and shapes the company’s culture.
Back to top