Eng Prin - Mech
I. BASIC FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
To perform professional technical work which is complex in nature and requires in-depth knowledge and diversified application of mechanical engineering principles, theories, concepts, practices and techniques generally used to solve problems within a defined field of technology.
II. PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Duties and responsibilities which occupy a major portion of time and importance in the job. Incumbent(s) perform one or more of the following duties.)
- Perform Mechanical Analyses. Analyze mechanical components and subsystems using both common application programs and more advanced programs such as NASTRAN, ANSYS, and Thermal Desktop. Performs kinematic, dynamic, heat transfer and/or vibration analyses on one or more complex materials, structural components or functional systems. Perform trade studies and document results for presentation to senior program staff.
- Create and Develop Product Designs. Create and develop mechanical designs, including moderately complex subsystems for the development of electronic, thermodynamic, mechanical motion and optical systems. Coordinate and delegate the work to lower level engineers, designers, and support personnel as assigned. Lead design segments as the Lead Mechanical Engineer on engineering efforts responsible for achievement of schedule, fiscal and technical performance objectives.
- Direct Fabrication and Test of Hardware. Develop test plans and direct the fabrication of prototypes. Conduct testing of moderately complex systems and resolve design and related manufacturing problems. Coordinate product transition to Operations as required.
- Document the Product Development. Generate, review and approve written reports supporting the design, analyses, and test of the product design including drawings, engineering specifications, and other associated documentation. Report on project status and progress measured against specific plans. Prepare design review packages and present data to both internal and external customers.
- Implement Continuous Improvement. Implement the Mechanical Design Process in work plans, and adhere to our Quality System. Provide feedback to improve the process, and work to meet engineering objectives. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in the mechanical engineering disciplines. Ensure cost effectiveness and manufacturability of design.
- Perform Other Duties. Coordinate and direct the work efforts of lower level engineers and support personnel, if assigned. Assignments may include development of new techniques as a result of independent study, materials development and support of proposal efforts. Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
A. Responsibilities for Work of Others
May lead small groups and provide moderately complex work direction on a regular basis.
B. Supervision Received
Receives limited supervision. Regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment in technical areas. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
IV. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
A. Within Company
Primarily internal to the Business Area. Ability to work in an Integrated Product Team (IPT) environment is a norm.
B. Outside of Company
Limited contact with customers, contractors and government officials. May act as supplier technical point of contact.
V. WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
A. Physical Tasks
Exerts normal physical energy.
B. Working Conditions
Normal office environment.
VI. FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
May suggest expense items for department budget. May provide input to proposal cost estimates. Supports efforts to meet business area financial targets.
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top