Eng II - HW
The Product Producibility and Launch (P2L) Program Engineer provides design expertise and leadership to programs in the areas of Design For Manufacturability (DFM), Design For Testability (DFT), Design To Unit Production Cost (DTUPC), and Transition to Production (TTP). The P2L Program Engineer will report to the P2L Capability Group (CG) Director, within the ES Defense Hardware Engineering Organization. On programs, the P2L Program Engineer will report to the Project Technical Lead (PTL) and will be a leadership peer with the Hardware Manager, Operations Program Manager (OPM), Systems Engineering Manager (SEM), Software Manager, and Integrated Test Engineering (ITE) Lead. In this role, the P2L Program Engineer serves as the program’s P2L lead and focal point and is charged with providing technical leadership, support, and direction for new product designs intended to be transitioned into Operations from Engineering. Focusing on affordability and producibility activities early in the design process, the P2L Engineer will help drive technology trends into our factories to maximize design flexibility, increase manufacturing capability, and lower production costs. Core responsibilities include:
- The P2L Program Lead Engineer is a “Design for Excellence” (DFX) practitioner versed in DFM, DFT, DTUPC and Transition to Production (TTP) methods, tools, and best practices
- Serves as the Program’s P2L CG Lead / focal point and coordinates all necessary P2L CG program staffing needs to include P2L Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), P2L Engineers resident to other CGs, and Technical Operations – Factory Process Leads
- Responsible Engineer for providing P2L CG design expertise on hardware products including participation in all internal design reviews and architecture review boards
- Drives producible product architecture early in the product life cycle providing a “Left Shift” mentality to engage DFM, DFT and DTUPC compliance.
- Provides program expertise in the areas of Manufacturing Readiness Assessments (MRAs) as well as Production Readiness Reviews (PRRs)
- Responsible for following the Systems, Hardware, and ITE Engineering processes. Promotes the use of design guidelines during product development
- Serves as conduit to necessary Operations staffing to include Advanced Manufacturing, Process/Test Engineering, and Product Engineering. Also provides technical support for rapid prototyping
- Collaborates on Make/Buy decisions consistent with the Manufacturing Realization Strategy and Factory Capability Matrix
- Ensures preferred part and supplier selection alignment with supply chain strategy.
- Utilizes Design to Cost (DTC) based on a Price-to-Win as a methodology to drive designs to converge on cost instead of allowing cost to converge on design
- Understands design margins and predict factory and supplier yields through CpK analysis
- Participates in proposal and cost estimating activities related to P2L CG activities
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Human Resources Manager
Melissa advises BAE Systems on the full HR spectrum. She brings in new talent, prepares team members for success, pops in on payroll and benefits, and shapes the company’s culture.
Back to top