Embedded Software Engineering Manager
This position is located in Sterling Heights, MI.
This Software Engineering Manager position will have both Project and Functional Engineering responsibilities. The Project(s) to be supported are still TBD, so initial activities will focus on providing leadership to the Software Engineering staff based in Sterling Heights.
The Software Engineering Manager should be highly self-motivated, have strong analytical and creative problem-solving abilities, as well as solid communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to collaborate within a multi-disciplinary engineering team is critical. He/she reports directly to the CV SW Functional Engineering Manager and is matrixed to Program Engineering Manager(s) for work authorization and direction.
- - Knowledge – Apply advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts. Contributes to the development of new principles and concepts.
- - Problem Solving – Work on unusually complex technical problems and provide solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious.
- - Discretion/Latitude – Works under consultative direction toward predetermined long-range goals and objectives. Assignments are often self- initiated. Determine and pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. Work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by formal review of superior.
- - Impact – Develops advanced technological ideas and guides their development into a final product. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve critical organizational objectives and effect the image of the organization’s technological capability.
- - Liaison – Serves as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs. Acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications.
Project Management Job Responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that the scope allocated to the TBD Project SW Team is rigorously executed to meet allocated functional, performance, and interface requirements within cost & schedule constraints
- Providing clear, concise work direction to project personnel and communicating programmatic information to ensure in-context systems thinking
- Managing Control Account(s) or Work Package(s); includes developing detailed execution plans from BOEs and budget allocations
- Ensuring process discipline and execution rigor during project execution – follow Business Management System Procedures. Responsible for timely tailoring of process standards for use within the software domain.
- On-time delivery of quality contract deliverables
- Reviewing technical progress, evaluating & reporting results, and taking action as required
- Providing timely & accurate status reports and prompt notification of emerging risks & issues within his/her sphere of responsibility. Elevates as necessary to ensure management risk awareness.
- Coordinating and collaborating with teaming partners
- Ensuring that cross-Integrated Product Team (IPT) interfaces are managed and systems level requirements are met
- Providing staffing forecasts to both project management and functional management
- Ensuring objective review, assessment, and verification of engineering work products within the software domain
- Ensuring the Product Safety aspects of all sub-components, components, and deliverables within the software domain
- Providing objective & constructive Performance and Development Review (PDR) inputs regarding objectives and performance for assigned project personnel
Functional Management Job Responsibilities include:
- Allocating Software Engineers to/from programs/projects to fulfill staffing needs in a timely manner
- Performing comprehensive planning relative to functional capacity and capability
- Establishing and maintaining the technical vitality of people, processes, and infrastructure for software engineering
- Ensuring the technical competence of the assigned Engineering staff, reflecting both current and anticipated needs
- Ensuring efficient utilization of staff; inclusive of proactively managing utilization via the use of overtime, contract labor, and hiring
- Ensuring that subordinates rigorously apply applicable policies, processes, practices, procedures, methods, standards, and guidelines in the performance of their duties
- Administration of PDRs for the assigned staff, inclusive of soliciting inputs from stakeholders, e.g. managers, peer, subordinate, internal customers, etc
- Collaborative career development with subordinates
- Ensuring the effectiveness and relevance of functional processes
- Ensuring functional processes are useful to Engineering practitioners
- Ensuring functional process are integrated and standardized, to the extent practical, across the Sector
- Ensuring functional processes meet applicable compliance and assessment standards, e.g. CMMI
- Ensuring the availability, efficiency, and relevance of functional engineering design/analysis tools and services
- Ensuring the affordability of functional engineering design/analysis tools and services, inclusive of ensuring that disused and obsolete licenses and capabilities are sunset/scrapped in the interest of cost savings
- Ensuring a practical level of functional engineering design/analysis tool and services commonality across the Sector to improve ability to effectively allocate work across sites
- Timely identification of capital and other investment requirements to sustain functional infrastructure, along with ensuring efficient utilization of such
- Ensuring the completeness and adequacy of functional bids and estimates
- Effectively managing allocated indirect budgets
- Other duties include, but are not limited to: providing technical expertise to programs/projects, participating in peer reviews, performing independent phase and design reviews, performing “ color team” reviews for pursuits, supporting bids and proposals, and supporting IRAD planning
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education BS degree in Engineering/Science plus 12 years relevant experience. At least 2 or more years as a Project Manager or equivalent with engineering supervisory experience.
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Management and Control Account Management duties
- Significant experience in cross functional, cross discipline IPT development
environments with emphasis on internal and external customer satisfaction
- Software engineering experience throughout the development lifecycle
- Technical leadership and management (i.e., project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring & control, closeout)
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills
- Conducts effective meetings, discussions, and presentations
- Practical knowledge and experience with applicable engineering processes to include process tailoring and process improvement Preferred Skills and Education * PMP certification
- Working knowledge of CMMI
- Experience leading virtual teams
- Experience managing software subcontracts
- Understanding and application of the US Army’s Vehicle Integration for C4ISR/EW Interoperability (VICTORY) Standard
- Knowledgeable about Information Assurance (IA) / Cybersecurity mitigation strategies, secure coding practices, and anti-tamper solutions
- Staying abreast of leading software technologies and processes About BAE Systems Platforms & Services Posting BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top