Electro-Optical Infrared (EOIR) - Sensor Scientist
BAE Systems is looking for a Senior Principal Scientist to lead programs in research and development of advanced electro-optic and infra-red (EO/IR) sensors. In this role, you will lead cutting-edge imaging research solving real-world problems to keep our country safe!
Who we are:
The BAE Systems' Sensor Technology (ST) directorate is a leading multidisciplinary R&D department dedicated to meeting critical U.S. military needs. ST is the hardware arm in R&D for emerging analog-digital sensors, embedding signal processing engines into the next generation of digital camera technology. We implement this for all of BAE Systems North America, yet it runs more like an entrepreneurial firm. It's the best of both worlds--combining a small-company feel, in a research laboratory setting, with access to a large company's technology transition paths, customer base, and other resources. ST executes a variety of scientific R&D efforts for the Department of Defense (DoD). Join us for amazing R&D challenges and work on revolutionary sensor innovations that makes a direct real-world impact!
What we offer:
• Exciting ASIC and IR camera research
• Exceptional teammates
• Opportunities to learn and grow
• A fun workplace, excellent benefits, and every other Friday off
Focus on the following technologies:
Multispectral, programmable EO and IR Imaging Sensors
- Concepts for hybridized IR detectors with custom ASIC chips
- Multispectral EO-IR, LIDAR architecture definitions
- Exploration of I/O capabilities up to Terabit scale
- New low-level FPGA-like programmability
- System partitioning and optimization based on mission understanding
Who you are:
We are looking for an experienced Senior Principal Scientist to work all phases of research - identification of emerging opportunities, developing novel internal research, identifying investment roadmaps, proposal development, research execution and team lead - for cutting-edge multimodal camera R&D efforts. This will include the development of new and existing customer relationships at DARPA, NVESD, AFRL, and the broader DoD community in areas relating to new EO/IR system architectures. The ideal leader will be working with signal and image processing experts to implement low-level functions on the next generation of sensors. Additionally you will:
- Generate state-of-the-art ideas and leading proposals in advanced scientific solutions
- Implement research involving complex sub-systems often involving multiple disciplines
- Investigate partitioning complex algorithms between hardware, firmware and software
- Author external publications.
- Guide project tasks for small to medium groups (1-10)
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.
Typical Education & Experience
Required Skills and Education
PhD with 4+ years of professional research experience
Master's Degree with 6+ years of professional research experience
Technically knowledgeable in one or more of the following domain areas:
- ASIC architectures including multi-wafer topologies
- VHDL, Verilog, Cadence Virtuoso or similar tools
- Simulation and modeling tools: Matlab or similar
- Research in EOIR camera technologies
- Emerging technologies such as photonic-electronic concepts
Strong interpersonal communication skills and interest in the business development process. Proven record providing significant ideas for white papers and proposals .
Ability to direct junior engineers, technicians and/or layout personnel to achieve program goals.
US Citizenship and eligible for a US SECRET clearance.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Preferred Education: MS or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Experience with a breadth of semiconductor processes from 180nm to 65nm and below
- Heterogeneous analog-digital material systems
- System partitioning in ROIC/FPGA topologies for integrated performance
- IC performance in cryogenic systems
- Lead author/coauthor technical papers and/or invention disclosures
- Active US SECRET clearance
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top