Electro-Mechanical Engineer II
The BAE Systems site in Elgin, OK is seeking a Mechanical Engineer II with a strength in electro-mechanical design principles. This exciting position will support the design and production of the US Army's Paladin M109A7 next-generation 155mm Artillery System.
In this role, the Engineer will provide mechanical design and production expertise as a member of the Vehicle Electronics, Navigation, and Communication Integrated Product Team. The Paladin Self-Propelled Howitzer (SPH) and Carrier, Ammunition, Tracked (CAT) family of vehicles are an enhanced artillery system being manufactured by BAE Systems for the US Army. The vehicles are the latest upgrade to the Army's field artillery portfolio and incorporate cutting edge electrical power generation, distribution, and management components. The vehicles feature a 70kW high-voltage power generation and distribution system, digital backbone architecture with a digital fire control system, position navigation system, and a comprehensive diagnostics computer.
The day-to-day duties will include working alongside of other Electrical team members in a production environment to support the transition of vehicle manufacture from low initial rate to an eventual high sustained rate. This will include rapidly troubleshooting design and/or assembly related issues that arise in manufacture, build, or test activities. The Engineer will also develop and propose design improvements and optimizations to the vehicle to support the long-term program sustainment efforts.
The Engineer is expected to apply mechanical engineering design and/or analytical theory, principles, techniques, and practices to:
•Analyze and interpret design specifications, drawings, documentation, models, and/or test results to ensure technical designs comply with applicable engineering standards, military specifications, and product requirements.
•Rapidly troubleshoot and isolate system level problems discovered during production and determine root-cause including design defects and production/supplier defects, and recommend near-term workaround.
•Analyze Field/Test Incident Reports and determine root-cause including design defects and production/supplier defects.
•Perform verification testing and/or data collection to support the implementation of corrective actions including technical analysis, calculations, and evaluation of results using specialized equipment and/or computer programs.
•Develop and write technical documentation, make revisions to existing documentation, and provide input to technical papers or presentations. May deliver technical presentations to the Integrated Product Team in a group setting
•Work from specific assignments, objectives and technical guidance received from supervisor or senior engineering personnel. Make technical decisions on work consistent with assignment, conferring with supervisor to determine alternative approaches and solutions to technical applications or problems.
•Maintain a safe work environment and ensure compliance with safety objectives, policies, and rules.
Come join our great team with generous compensation package, benefits, 401k, and so much more!
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 2 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Must possess a BS or MS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of two-years engineering work experience required with a BS degree or zero years of experience with an MS degree. (The position is targeted for someone with around 2-5 years of relevant engineering experience).
- Good written communication skills - this position requires ability to create clear technical documentation of analyses, methods, results, conclusions, and recommendations. Writing examples may be requested.
- Good people skills - this position requires the ability to regularly collaborate with personnel from design engineering, production, field service, management, and the customer.
- Must have the ability to move about, on, or inside a large military vehicle including in some cramped spaces.
- Experience working in a production environment
- Experience working with military ground vehicles
- Experience using 3D CAD Software such as PTC Creo (Pro/Engineer, ProductView)
- Experience using electrical lab test equipment (oscilloscopes, power analyzers, CAN, DAC/ADC converters) for test and verification
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top