Electrical Engineering Intern Summer 2020
The BAE Systems site in York, PA is seeking two (2) Electrical Engineering Interns for Summer 2020 to support the design and production of the M109A7 next-generation 155mm Artillery System.
The Paladin Self-Propelled Howitzer (SPH) and Carrier, Ammunition, Tracked (CAT) family of vehicles are an enhanced artillery system being manufactured by BAE Systems for the US Army. The vehicles are the latest upgrade to the Army's field artillery portfolio and incorporate sophisticated computing equipment, communications, sensors, driver's vision enhancer, position navigation system, and a comprehensive diagnostics computer. The family of vehicles feature cutting edge electrical power generation, distribution, and management components including a 70kW high-voltage power generation and distribution system, digital backbone architecture and a digital fire control system.
In this exciting position opened for a college student in their Junior or Senior year, the Electrical Engineering Intern will work alongside experienced Electrical and Mechanical Engineers to support the electrical design and vehicle subsystem integration tasks as a member of the Vehicle Electronics, Navigation, and Communication Integrated Product Design Team. Day-to-day duties will include assisting the design team with developing new designs, performing reviews of technical data package, performing analysis, assisting the design team with administrative tasks that are a part of the design process, working with supply chain to determine parts delivery status, preparing presentations to propose corrective actions to the program natural work team, and writing technical documents to capture the results of analysis, test, or providing rationale for proposed design changes.
The Electrical Engineering Intern will have the opportunity to spend hands-on time with the vehicles in the production environment. The Intern may also be asked to work with the vehicles to troubleshoot design and/or assembly related issues that arise in manufacture, build, or test activities.
In this role, the Intern will learn about the engineering design process, military specifications, standards and requirements, material and parts procurement process, manufacturing and production processes, and design verification and validation.
The Electrical Engineering Intern is expected to apply basic electrical engineering design and/or analytical theory, principles, techniques, and practices to:
- Perform basic engineering design, development, analysis, experimentation, test and/or product assurance tasks of limited complexity for assigned portions of a project. Ensures tasks meet cost, quality, schedule, and performance requirements.
- Analyze and interpret design specifications, drawings, documentation, models, and/or test results to ensure technical designs comply with applicable engineering standards, military specifications, and product requirements.
- Rapidly troubleshoot and isolate system level problems discovered during test activities or production and determine root-cause including design defects and production/supplier issues, and recommend near-term workaround.
- Perform verification testing and/or data collection to support the implementation of corrective actions including technical analysis, calculations, and evaluation of results using specialized equipment and/or computer programs.
- Develop and write technical documentation, make revisions to existing documentation, and provide input to technical papers or presentations.
- Summer 2020 Internship for a student enrolled in an accredited college or university as an Electrical Engineer Major.
- Good written communication skills - this position requires ability to create clear technical documentation of analyses, methods, results, conclusions, and recommendations. Writing examples are helpful and may be requested.
- Good people skills - this position requires the ability to regularly collaborate with personnel from design engineering, production, field service, management, and the customer.
- Must have the ability to move about, on, or inside a large military vehicle including in some cramped spaces.
- Previous/current membership or leadership roles in professional groups, clubs, or extracurricular activities is desired.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, 3D CAD Programs, electrical simulation/modeling tools.
- Experience using electrical lab test equipment (oscilloscopes, power analyzers, CAN, DAC/ADC converters) for test and verification
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top