Electrical Actuation Power Engineer
BAE Systems is hiring for a Power Electronics Engineer.
At BAE Systems, we deliver a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. If you are an individual that enjoys a cohesive team environment and is interested in a variety of challenges across a variety of products, then we are interested in hearing from you!
We are seeking candidates with experience in design, analysis, test and integration of motor drives, grid tie systems and exportable power as well as high power DC/DC converters. Responsibilities may include DC - AC, AC-AC and DC - DC power conversion from 1W - 1MW and 28 to 800VDC / 460VAC. Experience with power magnetics design, machine control and EMI control is also desirable. An individual at this level should demonstrate the leadership ability to lead small work groups or program teams.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
Detailed design, analysis and testing of:
- Polyphase Motor Drive powertrains from thermal feasibility to detailed design of busbars, snubbers and DC link.
- Cost Effective Gate Driver Architectures and circuit design for MOSFET, Si IGBT and SiC devices
- Isolated and Non-Isolated High Power DC/DC converters (greater than 1kW)
- System level DC link interactions
- EMI Filters and control for high power inverters, motor drives and DC/DC converters
- Filters for importable and exportable sine wave power for grid tie and other applications
- Architect and analyze vehicle level power systems potentially utilizing multiple Motor Drives, Energy Storage Systems, Fuel Cells, and DC/DC converters.
- Architect test fixtures and test systems for motor drives and other power conversion products
- Prepare and/or review documentation for power systems designs and architectures
- Perform circuit and/or power system integration at Circuit Board, Electronic Enclosure, and Vehicle Level
- Produce and/or review technical documents, test procedures, specifications and standards
- Prepare and present design reviews and customer technical presentations
- Write Technical Proposals
- Manufacturing operations production and test issues
- Test Equipment design and troubleshooting
- Component quality and procurement issues
- Reliability Engineering Activities such as FMEA, Stress Analysis, Tolerance analysis
- Field Service Technicians, or Field Support Group with Power Systems Issues
Bachelor's Degree and 5 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience in power electronics related design and development, including familiarity with motor drives, gate drivers, analog circuitry, and magnetics
- Experience in full lifecycle development including component level requirements and design, component and system-level integration, validation, and verification.
- Ability to work with software and firmware controlled power converters and power systems. Must be willing to work in a high voltage / high power lab environment.
- Software skills: SPICE, Mathcad
- Technical writing skills: capable of creating required engineering documentation.
- Demonstrated experience providing technical leadership and mentoring.
- Master's Degree or higher
- Experience with design of DC DC converters and motor drives with power levels of up to 500kW and DC link voltages to 1000V or higher
- Experience with Power Magnetics Design and electromagnetic concepts
- Experience with partial discharge and bearing EDM issues
- Basic working knowledge of AC machines
- Familiarity with Vector and Field Oriented Control
- Demonstrated leadership ability to lead working groups or program teams.
- Software Skills: Matlab/Simulink, Ansys Maxwell
- Experience with Requirements Management tools and Configuration Management and Problem Reporting tools.
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top