- San Diego, CA
BAE Systems San Diego Ship Repair is seeking a Dockperson for both its 22,000-ton floating steel dry-dock Pride of San Diego (POSD) and 55,000-ton floating steel dry-dock. The Dockperson contributes to the drydocking processes and supervises daily facilities maintenance processes and will plan, execute and maintain preventative and corrective maintenance files for San Diego's Ship Repair dry docks.
Responsibilities for this role include:
- Full operation of San Diego Ship Repairs dry-dock control console of both dry-docks.
- Operate diesel generators and paralleling switchboards on San Diego's Ship Repair dry-docks.
- Support production trades on ships and dry-docks as needed.
- Operate forklifts and aerial lifts, as well as inspect, service, and maintain dry-dock mooring grippers.
- Hook up and disconnect dock and ships temporary services on the dry-docks.
- Assist Dockmaster in creating docking and undocking schedules.
- Assist Dockmaster in preparing the ship for docking and undocking.
- Interpret blueprints, schematic drawings, and dock layouts.
- Position may require travel to other BAE Ship Repair locations.
- Supervision of the maintenance team includes such duties as troubleshooting and determining root cause of failures and restoring equipment to service in a timely manner.
- Candidates must be able to work unsupervised on a daily basis trouble shooting, repairing, and maintaining all equipment in a safe operational and efficient condition to support the daily shipyard production needs.
- Proven mechanical troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work long rotating shifts, weekends, be on call and accept call-outs and over time work
- Candidate will have understanding and knowledge in operating ballast control systems onboard vessels, drydocks, and caissons with full understanding of deflection systems. Candidate will have knowledge of the dry-docks trolley systems, capstans, and anchor windlass.
- Must have full understanding of ballast control systems.
- Understanding of low to medium voltage electrical systems.
- Understanding of TLI systems and maintenance.
- Ability to respond to issues after hours and during weekends.
- Ability to work overtime if necessary.
- Ability to work swing shifts or weekend shifts as per workload requirements for any duration of time.
- Ability to operate forklifts and aerial lifts.
- Possess and maintain all appropriate BAE safety and environmental certifications.
- Understanding and implementation of safe rigging practices.
- Excellent communication skills with fellow BAE employees, contractors, and vendors.
- Ability to interpret equipment blueprints, schematic drawings, and machinery maintenance tasks.
- Possess computer skills in Microsoft Office.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
Minimum of two (2+) Shipyard or Shipboard experience
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top