Digital ROIC Detector Scientist
FAST Labs is seeking a Senior Principal Research Scientist to develop and mature advanced infrared (IR) detector-based systems. The ideal candidate will lead new architectures development, specification of component designs, component testing and integration of detector products into both active and passive camera systems. Many of these new designs will also require close interaction with our team developing new digital readout integrated circuits (D-ROIC) designs. The candidate's concepts will enable real-time/near real-time embedded systems, and implement a new generation of system prototypes, transitioning them into advanced military capabilities.
The work environment is fast-paced and presents many technical challenges as well as significant growth opportunities. Successful technical contributors will be comfortable working in multidisciplinary teams, present ongoing program work to customers as well as proposing concepts for new projects. Assignments will require excellent problem solving abilities, hands-on leadership and systems-level thinking. Qualified candidates will also possess in depth knowledge of system architectures, hardware, and state of the art in emerging component technologies. Past experience with DARPA and other military R&D agencies is a plus. This position may require travel up to 10% of the time to support customer development and system reviews at the employer's discretion.
As a Senior Principal Scientist in BAE Systems FAST Labs (FLS) in the Sensor Technologies Directorate, you will participate in the complete hardware development lifecycle. This directorate is responsible for turning next generation defense research and technology into real-time solutions for prototype systems. These systems are often tested at live ground and flight exercises in preparation for deployment on operational platforms.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Integrated circuit development for IR detectors, specifically analog design flow
- Circuit design in Cadence Virtuoso or similar tools
- Modeling of circuit topologies to achieve system-level performance goals
- Technical depth and demonstrated experience in circuit specification, design, fabrication and testing.
- Motivated, team-oriented individual with strong problem-solving abilities
- Strong interpersonal communication skills including writing and presentation skills
- Ability to direct junior engineers, technicians and or layout personnel to achieve program goals.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Master's Degree and 6 years work experience or PhD with a minimum of 4 plus years or more experience in read-out integrated circuits and related scientific fields.
- Advanced degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering or Materials Science
- Digital IC design flow
- Familiarity with FPGA design
- Cooled and uncooled IC development
- Experience with a breadth of semiconductor processes from 180nm to 65nm and below
- Trade studies in ROIC topology for integrated system performance
- Camera integration including interface definition, system configuration, and contributing to system integration
- Matlab skills
- Customer interactions, especially candidates with a DARPA-win track record
-Must be a US Citizen
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top