DevOps Lead Software Engineer
See what you're missing. Our employees work on the world's most advanced electronics - from detecting threats for F-35
pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of
tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we're innovating for the future. And you can, too.
Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put
our customers first - exemplified by our mission: "We Protect Those Who Protect Us®." Sound like a team you want to be
a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
Our engineers are the lifeblood of our company and we're more than 5,000 strong. With our robust offering of educational
and career development opportunities, your chances to grow are limitless.
We are looking for technical Development/Operations Leads (DevOps) who thrive in the creation and execution of a simple, heavily automated, and consistent development-to-deployment environment for large scale, complex software products. The right individual will work within the Software Organization to take ownership of building and executing plans to modernize and standardize our tool sets, documentation, workflow processes, and engineering mindsets in the areas of development, deployment, and maintenance across a number of programs.
The successful candidate will step up to the challenge of evolving the software group towards a modern, integrated software development environment required to move our products rapidly into real world operational fielded systems sorely needed by our nation. The DevOps lead will work across the engineering disciplines of software, CM, Security, IT, and Integration & Test to shorten deployment time frames and improve the quality, consistency, and ease of installation/integration of our software products.
The DevOps Engineer works with hardware developers, software developers, and program managers to deliver predictable software releases in a configuration managed environment for maximum reproducibility. The DevOps Engineer deploys tools to detect configuration issues, monitor quality and performance of the software in testing. Statistical reporting is provided to help ensure the developed products meet customer expectations.
- Collaborate directly with product development teams and DevOps Engineering peers across the company to apply best practices and avoid duplication of effort.
- Develop metrics dashboards (using available platforms and frameworks) to report statistics for your product development teams with a high level of intellectual honesty.
- Enhance and extend existing automation frameworks and socialize your work across the DevOps practice within BAE.
- Help support efforts to deploy internal cloud solutions and integration with external GovCloud (AWS)
- Provide front-line support and root-cause analysis for all development issues with IT infrastructure and tools.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- 5+ years leadership experience in maintaining a consistent and efficient development and deployment environment
- Capable of concurrent management of multiple code, integration, and deployment branches of a highly complex software system
- Proven experience introducing automation in versioning, configuration, installation, and validation of software products
- Strong and current experience with some/all the following tools: Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bitbucket), Git, Jenkins
- Proven ability to work across development disciplines to deliver high quality products to the end customer (ex. CM, IT, Security, Software Leads, QA, Integration Leads)
- Must be able to manage a development/deployment schedule and work with other leads to task individual engineers
- Extensive hands-on knowledge of system administration and Linux/UNIX operating system core concepts.
- Knowledge of networking concepts (e.g.,TCP/IP, firewalls, load balancers, etc).
- 3+ years scripting/high level language programming
- Will be required to obtain CompTIA Security+ Certification
- Active Secret Level Clearance preferred. High level clearances highly desirable.
- Active CompTIA Security+ Certification
- Software development background
- Experience applying DevOps concepts to embedded software products
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top