Craft Supervisor ( ship fitter/ welder)
BAE Systems Hawaii Shipyards is hiring a Craft Supervisor for the Shipfitting/Welding Department. This position reports directly to the Craft Manager. The Craft Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing all phases of project performance, assigning work on multiple assignments during a workday and monitoring job progress onboard the vessels. Interacts and communicates with various personnel, including department heads, the project teams and our customers. Engages, provides technical assistance and coaches the workforce. Ensures that appropriate actions are taken to support the timely and cost effective completion of assigned tasks. Supports the Craft Manager in personnel related functions including the hiring, training, promotion and supervision of union employees. Assures compliance and enforces company policies, procedures and the requirements of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). Supports a culture of Safety. Additional duties as assigned.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
Bachelor degree with 5 years experience with in the Ship Fitter/ Welder trade or a minimum of 10 years experience within the Ship Fitter/ welder trade with a High School diploma/GED and/or graduate from an apprenticeship school.
• Must have a minimum of 2 years supervisory experience in the maritime industry with Bachelor degree or 4 years supervisory experience with HS/GED or apprenticeship graduate.
• Responsible for ensuring that company goals for Safety, Quality and Productivity are aggressively pursued
• Oversee and monitor schedule performance including review of ongoing and upcoming projects, investigate late activities, and assist project supervision in development of practical solutions
• Monitor and evaluate project budget performance including review of ongoing and upcoming projects, develop productivity enhancements and investigate over-budget items
• Allocate personnel and resources to efficiently support all contracts (including shift work)
• Monitor productivity across all shifts including the amount and type of work assigned as well as the quality and quantity of work accomplished
• Review project schedules and budgets during the planning phase
• Insure that Company policies are adhered to and the policies are clearly understood by subordinates (ISO, Environmental and Safety). Train and motivate employees in the areas of technical knowledge, safety, environmental and communication.
• Insure that inter-departmental relations are maintained
• Insure that requirements of the labor agreement are properly enforced
• Must be a US Citizen
• Must be able to obtain and maintain base access to Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam
- Must be able to work all shifts, weekends and overtime as needed
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Office
• Must have strong written and oral communication skills
• Must be able to board ships, enter confined spaces with limited visibility and have the ability to climb up and down stairs and/or ladders of varying heights to complete the job or inspections
• Must be able to work indoors and outdoors under all weather conditions
• Must be physically and medically qualified to wear required personal protective equipment
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must be able to interact with a variety of people in a variety of settings. Ensure that inter-departmental relations are maintained.
• Ensure that requirements of the safety handbook are properly followed and enforced.
• Perform similar, incidental and other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of welding procedures as it pertains to SMAW, GMAW, FCAW ,and GTAW
- Knowledge of ship fitting requirements and practices IAW 1689 and 22D procedures.
- Must be able to read and interperate blue prints .
- Knowledge of NAVSEA STD items as it pertains to ship repair.
Preferred Skills and Education
Apprentice Graduate preferred but not required.
Knowledge of the 5xxx aluminum procedures.
Previous shipyard or navy experience.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top