Contracts Manager I
This position is located at BAE Systems, Sterling Heights, Michigan. This position reports to the Manager of Contracts for the fast paced and very dynamic AMPV Product Line. The successful candidate will be responsible for the AMPV contract and accountable for the preparation, negotiation and management of complex proposals and contracts. This position requires an extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in government contracting methods and applicable procurement laws and regulations. Strong business acumen and the ability to work proposals and manage contracts in accordance with company policies and customer requirements is necessary. Responsible for building and maintaining dependable, quality relationships with internal and external customers in support of the AMPV business objectives.
Primary Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Independently lead and/or support proposal activities including, but not limited to, analysis of solicitations, preparing summaries and developing strategies and recommendations based upon the analysis with attention to the financial and business risk of the proposed effort, participating in all required proposal team meetings, supporting independent proposal reviews (red teams, phase reviews), assisting with the preparation of terms, conditions and assumptions upon which the proposal may be submitted, reviewing the technical and pricing proposal for adequacy and consistency and assuring that bids and proposals are prepared and presented in a manner so as to afford the Company the greatest opportunity to obtain the contract award while minimizing associated liabilities and risk.
- Capable of establishing and managing negotiation strategies and financial requirements. Perform business risk assessment and recommend mitigation plans, negotiate contracts requiring a high degree of negotiation expertise, execute proposals and contracts.
- Ensure the creation and preservation of contractual arrangements which offer the Company a reasonable probability of accomplishing the established business objectives for any particular contractual arrangement.
- Prepare contract summaries, and provide management with complete, current and accurate data by reporting progress on contract activity, together with recommendations for management action and decision.
- Foster and maintain sound and reliable relationships with counterparts in customer organizations.
- Complete bid and proposal efforts with limited supervision, and negotiate and manage contracts to assure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Support Program managers, Product Line Directors, and Business Area leads and provide contracts advice and counsel.
- Regularly contribute to the development and implementation of new business methods, processes and contracting concepts in order to achieve business unit and Contracts Department goals and objectives.
- Be the program team lead for proactive contract change management ensuring scope growth and changes are managed within the changes clause of the contract.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 8 years work experience.
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor Degree with 10 years of experience or a Master's degree with 8 years of experience
- Expert working knowledge and understanding of the U.S. government acquisition and procurement environment, commercial contracting methods, export, FAR/DFARS and other government regulations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties identified above
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Exhibits sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers and suppliers
- Uses computer skills to prepare appropriate reports and documents
- Make decisions using sound judgment while complying with policies, procedures, appropriate principles and applicable state and federal laws and regulations
- Excellent research and presentation skills
- Advanced Degree (Master's Degree or Juris Doctorate)
- A working knowledge of TACOM and ACC Warren
- Ground Combat Vehicle experience
- CFCM or CPCM Certification
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Meet Some of BAE Systems's Employees
Vice President, Finance
Chandra helps steer the overall financial direction of BAE Systems’ headquarters. She interacts with many teams to lead mergers and acquisitions, investments, and general maintenance of all the numbers.
Back to top