Contracts Manager I
This position is for a supervisor of Contract professionals. As a supervisor, the position will lead Contract professionals and manage the contracts function for a business area. This would be an individual’s first formal responsibility for managing direct reports at BAE Systems. Develop and maintain professional and dependable relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Guide, direct and evaluate the activities of Contract personnel involved in bid/proposal efforts, and the negotiation and management of contracts to assure compliance with Company policies and procedures.
- Select, train, develop and review subordinates. May serve as lead instructor of a training program.
- Undertake special assignments as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsibilities for Work of Others
- May supervise exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Supervision Received
- Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives, approaches to assignments and supervision of personnel.
- Works with Program personnel and other Company functions as required. Develop and maintain professional and dependable relationships with internal customers. A manager at this level is expected to interface regularly providing advice and counsel on contractual and business matters to senior management at the assigned Business Area, LOB or Company level.
- Outside contact with Customers. Develop and maintain professional and dependable relationships with external customers.
Minimum Education and Experience Bachelor’s Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience Required Skills and Education
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge and working understanding of the US Government Acquisition and Procurement environment, BAE Systems and Contracts function policies and procedures, commercial contracting methods, export, FAR/DFAR and other government regulations.
- Understand and practice contracting and negotiation practices utilized in commercial and international transactions. Respect cultural differences with customers and be able to effectively adapt as required.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Exhibit sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with company personnel, customers and suppliers.
- Utilize computer skills to prepare appropriate reports and documents.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties. Make decisions using sound judgment while complying with policies, procedures, appropriate principles and applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated research and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated abilities to think and perform beyond anticipated situations
- Provide analysis of solicitations, assure that bid/proposals are prepared and presented in a manner so as to afford the Company the greatest opportunity to obtain the contract award while minimizing associated liabilities and risk, support independent proposal reviews (Red Teams, Phase Reviews).
- Capable of establishing and managing negotiation strategies and financial requirements, perform business risk assessment and recommend mitigation plans, conduct negotiation of contracts requiring a high degree of negotiation expertise, execute proposals and contracts to the threshold delegated.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating complex teaming arrangements or other types of contracting arrangements.
- Prepare contract summaries, and provide management with complete, current and accurate data by reporting progress on contract activity, together with recommendations for management action/decision.
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge in an area of contracting such as, but not limited to international contracting, certain contract types, commercial contracting, joint ventures, strategic alliances and intellectual property.
- Regularly contribute to the development of new concepts, techniques, and standards, provide market intelligence and development of market strategies for the business organization and the Contracts function, provide input for the overall objectives and goals for the organization for the business organization and the Contracts function.
- Develop solutions to complex contracting issues, which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation. Ensure solutions are consistent with organization objectives.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services Posting BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression EEO Career Site Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities . females . veterans . individuals with disabilities . sexual orientation . gender identity . gender expression
Back to top