BAE Systems is experiencing continued growth at our Austin Business Center (ABC) and we are seeking an experienced, highly motivated component engineer to join our team.
At BAE Systems we design, develop, and manufacture highly sophisticated electronic solutions that service a variety of product areas for government and commercial customers. Our diverse products leverage Electro-Optics, Countermeasures, and precision guidance technologies. The qualified applicant will take on a component engineering role that is associated with the research and development, production, and sustainment of military products at our Austin, Texas location.
The qualified component engineer is expected to perform engineering analysis and evaluation of piece parts procured for use in product design and manufacturing. Understands Procurement cycles and guidelines, Ensures that specified piece parts adequately fulfill engineering and program requirements. Provides for control and standardization of parts.
This selected candidate will:
1. Work with the Procurement team and Vendors to determine appropriate Component needs for Engineers
2. Analyze requirements to ensure that parts are not over or under specified and maintains consistency with engineering intent
3. Supports part selection activities during design and development
4. Perform part research for other functions and interface directly with part suppliers
5. Prepare and revise part procurement specifications for definition and control purposes to facilitate part/material acquisition
6. Support supplier management and material procurement activities
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
1. BS plus 8+ years of related engineering experience.
2. Experience in electronic and mechanical component analysis and selection.
3. Familiarity with Component Procurement
4. Excellent oral and written communications skills.
5. Microsoft Office common applications.
6. Knowledge of or ability to research a device manufacturer's product offering and part numbering convention and understand the product definition / specifications defined by this convention.
7. Knowledge of different manufacturers / suppliers offerings as "equivalent" or "similar" parts and differences in performance and material specifications / attributes.
8. Knowledge of Industry and Government standard qualification and certification requirements which vary by commodity, including qualification, screening and stress testing for various general application categories (i.e. commercial / industrial grade, military specification, or space-qualified including radiation effects).
• Familiarity with Aerospace TOR, NASA and MIL space parts standards and test/inspection methods
• Understanding of the selection, procurement, manufacture, use, and screening/qualification of high reliability EEEE parts for spaceflight missile applications.
• Experience with generating space level Non-Standard Parts Approval Requests and Source Control Documents and other part related test, inspection and qualification documentation.
• Strong understanding of electronic piece-part physics and failure modes
Preferred Skills and Education
Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE), Electronics Engineering, Physics, or Diploma in Electronics Engineering Technology.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top