Common Data Link - Chief Systems Engineer
At BAE's Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) Systems, we provide actionable intelligence for our warfighters through electronic products and innovative technical solutions from the depths of the ocean to outer space and everywhere in between.
We have an exciting opportunity for Chief Systems Engineers to join our growing Communications and Navigations Solutions organization. As a Chief Systems Engineer, you will join our team that is working on the Network Tactical Common Data Link (NTCDL) System, addressing ISR data transfer in tactical, operational, and strategic echelons. This is a Senior Systems Engineering role reporting to the Director of Systems Engineering.
In this role you will have the following responsibilities:
- Serve as an authority and consultant in at least one major technical discipline of high complexity and importance to the Common Data Link and/or Tactical Common Data Link product line within CNS business. Works across a broad range of disciplines to structure undefined problems, identifies key technical issues and defines alternative approaches and resolutions. Develops and applies extremely advanced technologies, principles, theories and concepts, extending existing boundaries of knowledge. Works in complex areas requiring research, creativity and ingenuity in identifying potential engineering solutions.
- Plan critical long-range technological requirements to enhance Company objectives or meet anticipated customer needs. Independently identifies and solves significant problems associated with the success of current and critical long range objectives. Leads and coordinates the activities of key technical personnel and other employees as required.
- Foster new ideas and inventions. Pursues new technology concepts prior to the establishment of any formal IR&D or CR&D establishment. Recommends, plans, leads, reviews, identifies risks and evaluates R&D and technological applications programs. Advises senior management on developments, trends or weaknesses in his/her area(s) of expertise for the LOB and OG. Additionally, expertise is often sought out at the corporate level or globally.
- Serve as prime spokesperson to customers and other companies on Company's technical capabilities in area(s) of expertise. Is often instrumental in attracting and obtaining new company business. Holds membership(s) in professional organizations, often in a leadership role. Represents Company at professional technical forums, organizations, conferences and meetings. Makes significant contributions to government, scientific or technology study panels. May publish in national scientific and technical journals.
- Mentor high potential and other Engineers in area(s) of expertise.
- Recommend system philosophies, design objectives and risk mitigation.
- Actively lead and/or participate in design reviews, proposal evaluations, tiger teams, etc. Actively participates in new business activities. Prepare and review technical papers and reports
- System design activities include system design synthesis, design trade-off studies using 'Cost as an Independent Variable (CAIV)', and developing design documentation such as Prime Item Development Specifications and Interface Control Documents.
- Conduct System Integration and Test Activities including specifying test equipment requirements, developing system level test plans & procedures, conducting system test, writing test reports, tracking and adjudicating defects, and conducting Test Readiness Reviews (TRRs).
- Technical leadership of teams ranging from 10 to 100 engineers.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Well versed in the Systems Engineering discipline including the capture of customer needs; development and presentation of concepts of operations (CONOPS), architecture concepts, trade studies, research and business proposals, progress reports, test reports, etc..
- Experience with the system design/architecture development of secure communication systems including system design synthesis, design trade-off studies using CAIV, and developing design documentation such as System Design Descriptions, Prime Item Development specifications, and Interface Control Documents
- Experience analyzing or defining system requirements, and establishing functional allocations using DOORs
- Experience in integration and test of complex communication systems, including development of test equipment requirements, familiarity with defect tracking databases, setting up test stations, developing functional performance and qualification test plans, procedures, and reports.
- Understanding of wireless networking technology in conjunction with design/architecture of secure communication systems
- Experience with preparing technical white papers and proposals, and ability to present to potential customers
- Proven leadership skills related to planning, estimating, organizing and managing technical teams and activities across multiple engineering disciplines and communities
- Intelligent and effective verbal and written communication skills to be able to effectively interact with executive leadership within BAE Systems and the Customer community
- DoD SECRET Clearance
- Successful Chief or Lead Systems Engineer of complex DoD communication system programs.
- Familiar with developing the architecture using Department of Defense Architectural Framework (DODAF), Unified Architectural Framework (UAF) or Ministry of Defense Architectural Framework (MODAF)
- Experience implementing MBSE
- Knowledge of communications waveforms including Common Data Link (CDL) and Bandwidth Efficient CDL (BE-CDL) CDL/BE-CDL design, integration & test experience
- Experience analyzing or defining new waveforms to meet customer requirements (propagation, bandwidth, data rates, etc..)
- Experience in performing integration and test on complex systems such as Common Data Link and or Tactical Common Data Link or Electronic Warfare systems
- Experience with Agilent and Tektronix equipment
- Experience with Phased Array and Dish antennas
- Hands-on experience using Agile, Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), SysML and related System Modeling tools such as Cameo Enterprise Architect, PTC, Rhapsody, etc.
- Master's Degree
- Familiar with DOD Acquisition process
- DoD TOP SECRET clearance
Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere - from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact - for our customers and the communities we serve.
Back to top