Cleaner/Sandblasters (Union/Hourly2nd & 3rd)
- York, PA
BAE Systems in York, Pennsylvania is seeking to fill Cleaner/Sandblaster positions on 2nd Shift (3:30 pm-midnight, M-F) and 3rd Shift (10pm-6:30am, M-F). Please note that the hourly workforce is union represented.
PRIMARY FUNCTION :
To clean and/or prepare materials/products as required in preparation for painting or welding using available methods such as rinsing, blasting, coating and foaming.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT :
Various hand tools: hand sanders, wrenches, hammers, paint brushes, etc. Also uses chains, lifting fixtures, thermometers, foaming machines, control panels, shot blasters, both overhead and jib cranes (pendulum or radio controlled), vacuum lifts, monorail conveyor,various cleaning, degreasing, rinsing and holding tanks. Uses funnels, positioners, wire basket,ladders, platforms, hand trucks and personal computers or other data entry devices (i.e. bar-code).
Government and customer furnished, purchased and plant produced parts/subassemblies such as aluminum and steel plates, structural shapes, weldments, castings, forgings,bar stock, tubing and pipes etc. Various chemical solutions such as alkaline cleaner, acid dioxidizer, acid chrome coater, oakite 33, ISO foam, methelyne chloride, aladine etc. Uses blast media such as steel grit/shot,sand and glass. Also uses aluminum oxide and corncob shell, etc. Preparation materials such as masking tape and hole plugs, etc.
SOURCE OF SUPERVISION :
Process Supervisor, Assistant Process Supervisor or may be directed by Lead Person or Self-Directed Work Team.
DIRECTION EXERCISED :
WORKING PROCEDURE :
- Receives instructions and work orders from Process Supervisor, Assistant Process Supervisor, Lead Person or Self-Directed Work Team.
- Refers to drawings, sketches, manuals, books, charts, military specifications and process sheets.
- Handles materials to and from work area within the department, by using material handling equipment(i.e. electric or manual hand trucks) as required.
- Submits first piece to Inspection as required. Ensures specification performance of product, process and workmanship and documents findings on personal computers and/or other acquisition devices as required.
- Performs checks and/or adjustments to process as required to maintain tolerances.
- Rinses, dries, wipes and cleans parts as required.
- Performs deburring operations with miscellaneous hand tools.
- Performs checks on equipment to maintain efficient and safe operations and report any deficiencies.
- Operates controls to ensure proper use of various cleaning machines and devices including separator dust collectors, etc.
- Check fluid levels, dip tank chemical levels, temperatures, blast media and adds material as directed.
- Keeps work area safe and clean.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Basic manufacturing operation skills
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience using basic hand tools
- Ability to drive vehicles
- Experience using pressure steam equipment
- Ability to work at various heights, in/out of large structures/vehicles;
- Ability to read, comprehend, and work to written work instructions
- Hands-on Manufacturing/Fabrication experience desired.
- Defense industry work a plus!
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair...just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Back to top