Civil / Structural Engineer III
Due to continued growth, BAE Systems, one of the world's leading defense contractors and a stable Fortune 500 Company, is hiring a Sr. Civil / Structural Engineer at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant. In this role, you will be responsible for civil and structural engineering and technical tasks to support design and construction of multi-million dollar modernization programs. This work includes planning, design, analysis, and engineering inputs to the design, construction, and maintenance of chemical plant facilities and infrastructure.
The Civil / Structural Engineer performs one or more of the following functions:
- Perform project engineering working in a multi-discipline engineering team to plan, design, construct, and maintain chemical plant facilities including supporting utilities and infrastructure
- Select construction materials and methods, create engineering estimates, write specifications and scopes of work, create and supervise the preparation of civil, structural, and architectural drawings, control cost, and manage work to meet project schedules
- Perform structural design and analysis for bridges, tunnels, structural steel buildings, reinforced concrete buildings and structures, pipe supports, and foundation systems
- Perform civil engineering design and analysis for piping networks (water distribution systems and sprinkler systems), sewer system layouts and hydraulics, pumping systems, water and waste water treatment systems, road and railroad layouts, including grade, alignment, and drainage, containment, diversion, and treatment systems for pollution abatement.
- Conduct inspections of existing facilities such as buildings, tank farms, tunnels, roads, railroads, bridges, pipe bridges, and pipelines to determine the integrity and safety of the structure. Make recommendations concerning any needed modifications.
- Determine root cause of structural or system failures and recommend corrective action.
- Oversee mapping and surveying functions which involve layout of new facilities and maintenance of records of site plans, plant layouts, and above-ground and underground utilities
- Provide technical oversight during construction including shop drawing review and approval, ensure construction is in accordance with plans, specifications, and good construction practices
- Consider safety in all aspects of design and construction
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university ideally with an emphasis in structural engineering. We may consider a closely related degree.
- Typically 4+ years experience in industrial construction, ideally a mix of structural and civil engineering
- Proficient knowledge of CADD tools (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Visual Analysis, STAAD/RAM, etc.) for efficient production of engineering work
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards
- Possess clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work in a team environment with a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to meet required deadlines while simultaneously completing other tasks
- Ability to direct design teams and external design firms
- Review and approve design packages from equipment suppliers and design firms providing constructability input
- Ability to interface with site operations and maintenance teams
- Capable of creating required engineering documentation using Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, and Access
- Professional Engineering License
- Skilled in principles of project management
- Experience in the design and construction of chemical facilities that involve the use of acids, bases, and solvents in the production of energetic materials
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, this Platform and Services Group of BAE Systems employs nearly 11,000 professionals at more than 30 locations worldwide. Platform and Services is a global leader in the design, development, production, and service support of armored combat vehicles, major and minor caliber naval guns and missile launchers, canisters, artillery systems, and intelligent munitions. People are the greatest asset in any Company. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top