Chief Engineer/Architect EO/IR Optical Communications
BAE Systems is seeking a recognized leader in the field of Free Space Optical Communications to join a growing dynamic group of engineers developing leading edge capabilities in Laser Communications. You will be a member of the leadership team for the Optical Systems Capability Group that is responsible for engineering staff and test resources for the execution of design, development, and implementation of electro optical solutions across multiple business areas. As a leader and individual contributor, you will be responsible for bringing innovative and discriminating technologies to bear on next-generation military/commercial applications. As an individual contributor, you will perform in the role of Chief Engineer and System Architect for programs ranging from research and development prototypes to full rate production systems. As a leader, you will work with senior leadership to grow our talent pool through identifying, hiring, mentoring and training engineers in your area of expertise.
Specific job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Architect, develop CONOPS and requirements, design, model, analyze, and test electro- optical systems and components used in a variety of free-space optical communications solutions to military/commercial applications.
- Develop information that extends knowledge in the field of free-space communications in the EO domain. Apply this knowledge to the development of advanced concepts, techniques, products or standards in free-space optical communications.
- Act as a recognized expert, consultant, and advisor to support program and corporate management as well as customers in making strategic technology decisions.
- Manage other experienced specialists in the EO domain, supporting their growth through mentoring and training.
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 12 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
- BS in EE, Physics, Optics, or equivalent with 12+ years of experience working with free-space optical communications systems; or MS in EE, Physics, Optics, or equivalent with 10+ years of experience
- In-depth working knowledge of: optical communications theory, techniques, components, and systems across the electro optical spectrum; optical sources including but not limited to lasers and diodes; optical modulators and demodulators; protocols and information theory; atmospheric transmission and modeling; conduct of complex trade studies involving sensors, optical designs, link budgets, SWaP, and environmental constraints; performance testing of EO components, sub-systems, and complete systems.US Citizen with active Secret clearance and eligible for Top Secret/SCI clearance.
- Experience with Systems Engineering processes and practices and working knowledge of DoD product development/lifecycle management.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, optical, software, and systems engineers.
- Experience working independently with limited supervision and interacting effectively with project management to achieve project goals. Ability to lead and build a team.
- Proven communications skills with demonstrated ability to present information with appropriate content to inform and influence team members, management, and customers.
- Active Top Secret clearance
- Experienced in developing systems for integration on Space, Flight, and/or Ground Mobile platforms
- Modeling and simulation skills
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Back to top